Firestick hood mount, Antenna geek needed.

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Alan Ehmke, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Alan Ehmke

Alan Ehmke Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2019
    I have a Cobra 29WXNWST with a Firestick 4' tunable fiberglass top load antenna. Just bought the Firestick hood mount for my 2004 Dodge Ram.
    Where is the best place to mount i.e. forward, rear, left or right?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    behind the cab.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. Alan Ehmke

Feb 4, 2019

5. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    The best place for best performance is always going to be the middle of your roof regardless of what other people might say. I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

jessejamesdallas Thanks this.
  6. Alan Ehmke

Feb 4, 2019
    Again HOOD MOUNT using a FireStik 184A to replace a Wilson Lil Wil magnet mount.

I just want a straight answer to my question, no BS.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    not being a smart *** but if you ask and want to really know, then you got the right answer.

I am not a fan of any hood antenna for a number of reasons but the best location is as far away as you can get it from where you sit. It has nothing to do with RF but RF exposure.

8. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    I’ve had that mounted for years on my 2004 Dodge CTD. It’s worth next to nothing.

A Little Wil on the roof is NASA by comparison.

9. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Not quite sure what the question is but you'll be giving up 80% of your performance by making that switch.
    You said you have a hood mount and those mount in one location only so there's no question to ask about where or how to mount it because it only mounts a single way probably using a single Bolt. Your question revolved around the best place to mount an antenna and none of the options you gave us fit the criteria of the best choice.

10. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

I had a 3 foot hood mount antenna on my old pickup. I mounted it on the driver side because the am/fm antenna was on the passenger side. You can buy a left side or right side mount for your needs. The reason for the shorter antenna was so when I pulled into my garage, it didn’t damage the garage door.

As others have mentioned, the middle of the rooftop is best, but sometimes that’s not always an option. I didn’t have to drill any holes either with the fender mount. You will notice the signals will be a little directional using a side mount.

If you aren’t worried about hitting objects that you drive under, always go with a longer antenna, 4 feet or longer. As far as magnet antennas for the roof, people seem to either like them, or hate them. With my newer pickup, I’m using an nmo mount about a foot
    behind the cab on the drivers side, using 2 sheet metal screws to hold the antenna mount to the inside of the pickup box. You don’t want the antenna too close to the metal cab. I was able to match the antenna to the radio (as far as SWR goes) just fine. This setup works fine for my needs. Hope this helps you.

Meteorgray Thanks this.
  11. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Right rear corner post of the bed. As far from the passenger compartment as possible, will make it strongest off the left front of the truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.