First day behind the wheel!!

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Michelle33, Mar 7, 2024.

1. Michelle33

Michelle33 Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2024
    West Texas
    Hi everyone :D Here's an update on how my CDL school is going- week 2.

I received my official CLP yesterday and I started driving today!! Im just super excited!! However, I'm quite terrible at double clutching. I thought it would be similar to driving a 5 speed car manual BUT it is not. So I'm feeling a bit discouraged..

I've done pretty well with learning my pre-trip, passing all my tests etc- so this double clutching has me feeling pretty down. I recorded some videos of my instructors shifting, so I'm planning on going over it and practicing with a make-shift setup at my house. I'm hoping tomorrow will be better. :) We've also had some different recruiters come through. RE West, TMC, Swift & Liberty. Anyways, just wanted to give an update-

The_vett, austinmike, Lonesome and 5 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    It takes some practice.Get your rpms up high enough before you start to shift.After awhile you'll be shifting easily and not even thinking about it.

4. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Don't let the double-clutching discourage you.

You will later find that most fleets now have pretty much gone to (or are in the process of) automatic transmission-equipped tractors.

Some exceptions to that: the off-road fleets -- loggers, & the oil field crowd; & also, heavy haul/oversize/overweight.

-- L

Flat Earth Trucker and Michelle33 Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where is Liberty out of; headquartered?
    `
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  6. Michelle33

Michelle33 Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2024
    West Texas
    Liberty Energy is located out of Midland County, Texas. They are opening up a new location in Cibolo?, Tx. They have sites all over though- LA, CO, ND, WY. But the job they were offering to us was more along the lines of heavy labor- There wasn't much actual driving- other than the 2 hrs or so each day of hauling to the job site.

Chinatown and Flat Earth Trucker Thank this.
  7. TexasRiverRat

TexasRiverRat Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2021
    I've only had my license for about a year and a half, so I can still remember how excited I was to start driving and how embarrassed/frustrated I'd get when I'd miss a gear or grind one.

We all started somewhere, so don't beat yourself up over the first day of driving. The only way to improve is through practice, and eventually it'll become second nature.

Speedy356 and Michelle33 Thank this.
  8. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Hang on to those recruiter business cards & any other handouts.

In the current CDL job market for rookies -- those may later be you best hope.

-- L

Michelle33 Thanks this.
  9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Wonderful,, now get to work,,,kidding, you'll be fine. Most will agree, the "double clutch" thing is a waste of time. I don't want to confuse you, but you should only need the clutch to start and stop. After a while, you'll see, when you let up on the throttle, and pull the shifter out of gear, there is a "sweet spot" for the next gear, and no clutch is needed. If you gently "ride" the gear with the lever, you'll feel when the gears will mesh. Typically, new drivers tend to over-rev the motor. Remember, in a diesel, the space between gears may only be 4-500rpms, and 2-3000rpms in a car. Usually, just a tap of the throttle is all that's needed. Now, practice that backing, you'll be fine.

10. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    That picture screams RUN AWAY!!!!!!

11. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Good luck to ya!

Michelle33 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.