First day with CR england

Discussion in 'CR England' started by jls1024, Nov 17, 2008.

1. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    Welcome to TTR TooGroovy.
    We're glad you found us.

I hear what'cher sayin', but I think you might be lookin' at C.R. England wrong. If you're thinkin' C.R.E. is ignorin' their problems, you might want to reconsider. It's quite possible, and even likely, that the Sons-0-Chester are aware that things are goin' as planned. They've managed to figure a way to pass problems onto their lease operators.
    As a "training company", C.R.E. depends on a large turn-over rate, --- 210% has been mentioned. If their drivers were content they'd remain there and mess up the money makin' process. As lease operators, if they complete the lease they've paid about double what their leased Big truck actually sells for, --- and they have to turn it in at the end. It ain't theirs. Never was. But they might sell it to you.

Statistically speakin', it's not a bad idea to bypass C.R. England.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TooGroovy

TooGroovy Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2011
    igetaround
    I know BEANS about TRUCKING, but it does not take a financial GIANT to figure this OUT... Every time they lease a new truck and the lease fails the insurance pays a premium towards the truck and CRE probably bids against that truck and gets that truck for far less and re-leases it again and again -- if not in CR England in another company like Central, across the street, or Knight or wherever -- because the leasing company is "independent" of CRE; like leasing companies are "independent" of car companies... but they all live in the same cat house -- this is why GM had trouble getting bailout money for his finance department; politicians were saying that even though it provided leases and financing it was NOT a bank because their deals were too close to home -- too inter related.
    I live in Salt Lake City and I went to check out the corporate offices of Central (one of the companies I am interested -- they seem decent) they are next door to CRE, Knight, Prime? and 2 or three others towards the road to Wendover.
    BUT I digress... ALL this nonsense is unsustainable ---> and a forum like this is actually DOING CRE A FAVOR, because sooner or later either they clean up heir act or the MARKET WILL DO IT FOR THEM -- and it may seem like a losing a battle but CRE lowering their cdl fee 950 can ONLY mean that MORE and MORE people are becoming WISE about companies LIKE THEM.
    ONE of the England brothers, Jeff, parted company with the family and started PRIDE Transportation which IS EVERYTHING CRE IS NOT... the legend goes that he chose the name as an "In your face!" type of thang... but, you know truckers... legends abound!!!

So far my list of companies to apply... have not made the order...
    Central Ref, Swift, Roehl, Watkins Shepard, Schneider, Pride?

No leasing in any of them and it will depend whether they would let me take home time in California where my sister lives... which is going to be weird because I am going to apply and then I am going to tell them I want to move... how would you go about that?

4. AfterShock

Sep 19, 2007
    I'm gonna be right up front with you TG, --- I've already read ahead and it seems to me that you've done some homework on the Big truck truckin' industry. Much more than the average wannaBee does. What you know now, many don't realize 'till they get there. Then it's too late.
    Unless, ...................................
    when you say that you "know beans", you're makin' reference to countin' 'em.
    Whichever and whatever, I'm impressed.
    Sounds familiar.
    Probably 'cause former lease operators relate that very story, --- among others. When so many tell the same story the same way it's difficult to accept that they're just makin' it all up or exaggeratin'. For that reason, when someone from C.R.E. claims all those who fail do so as a result of their own inabilities and/or mistakes, it has the aroma of bovine excrement. The buzz words are often that they all had "poor work ethics" and that they wasted too much time sittin' 'round in truck stops playin' on the internet.

Of course, those who voice those comments deny that they're shills, but they're not too convincing in that regard either.
    Sorta like my left hand is independent of my right hand?
    Now "GM" stands for Government Motors where management and union labor share the same office with Uncle Sam. I'd like to be a fly on the wall durin' their meetings.
    The Knights are relatives of the England's through marriage. C.R.E., Central and Pride are connected, although as I understand it, the way they run their operations aren't identical.
    You TOO?!
    ShuX HowdY!
    I digress all the time myself.
    Not always intentionally either.
    I just get goin' and get all caught up, ..... and before I realize it, I'm digressin'.
    I try not to, but I can't seem to quit doin' it.
    Is there a Digresser's Anonymous I can join for help?
    We're doin' C.R.E. a favor?
    Hmmmmmmmmm -------
    I figured we're like a burr under the saddle blanket.
    Could you 'splain that better?
    Can't fool ALL of the people ALL of the time?
    And sooner or later the Sons-0-Chester will run outta folks to fool?
    You might be right and I hope you are.
    But they'll dang sure have a less than stellar reputation that'll follow 'em 'round for years.
    Imagine C.R. England goin' from the outhouse to the penthouse. Wouldn't that be an AfterShock?
    And a miracle.
    Not to mention an answer to many prayers.

I know the difference betwixt a fairytale and a trucker tale.
    A fairytale starts out, Once Upon A Time, --- yada, yada, yada.
    A trucker tale starts out, Y'all ain't gonna believe this s hit, and so on and so forth.

I started my Big truck truckin' career at Schneider and stayed there for nearly five years before movin' on. All in all my experience there was very good, --- especially when compared to what I'm readin' about some of the other outfits. They're pretty picky though. That's one of the main reasons they were the first company I turned in an application, --- and was hired, --- even though the sign in the office window read Not Hiring Drivers At This Time.
    I figure, whudda signs know?
    Maybe they forgot to change it?

I've also heard positive comments about Watkins Shepard.
    Is Con-Way on your list?

I was born in SoCal and I've been too stubborn to relocate.
    Never said I was smart.

I know a few who drove for Schneider who pulled up roots and Schneider worked with them, transferin' 'em to other Operating Centers. I would think that any good company interested in retaining their good drivers would be helpful and supportive of those who desire relocation.

As for how I'd go about that, ------- I recommend what works for me. Total honesty and bein' up front right from the beginnin'.

When I applied with Schneider I was carryin' some pretty serious baggage. Serious enough that I was told that I'd probably have a hard time findin' a reputable truckin' company that would ever consider hirin' me. But I know me better than they did, and I know how to sell myself. I don't have a lot of experience applyin' for a drivin' job though. I've only applied twice and was hired by both.

What I did was research my possible options and chose Schneider based on what I learned through readin' and word of mouth. While attending Big truck truck drivin' school I made it a point to arrive early for class and stay after class until the last instructor, or the Director, left for the evening. What I learned from them before and after hours can't be found in a book. Once the instructors realized I was determined and sincere, they went out of their way to cram as much needed "smarts" betwixt my ears as they could. What remains in my brain to this day that has, and continues to help me, by far the most, were what I call their "Star Spangled Road Stories".
    Trucker Tales.

Even books with illustrations don't have near the impact of experiencing a lesson, first-hand. The next best way, for me, were the stories based on real life encounters. Situations we'd prefer to avoid, or even think about, ...... until we have to.
    The thing about good trucker stories, embellished they may well be, like stories with a moral ending, trucker stories tell how they got INto it, ..... and how they, hopefully, got out of it successfully.
    What happened inbetwixt?
    Does it really matter?
    If y'all remember how NOT to get INto it, y'all have a better chance avoidin' it.
    But if y'all do manage to get INto it, y'all oughta remember how to get out.
    Find that answer in a book, --- or an app on a smart phone.

When I was out on my own and I managed to avoid a situation similar to a story, or two, they'd told, because they had told it, I'd try to stop by the school with the Big truck to thank 'em again, --- and let the kids check out the cab-over, and eventually the triple-digit W-900.
    (No, it wasn't orange)

I felt compelled to return their favor(s), somehow.
    What can I do?
    I asked.
    They answered.

When y'all are out thar runnin' the highways, and y'all see someone in need of a hand, lend 'em yours. Do what'cha can whenever you can, if you can, because you can, --- unless you can't.
    If you can, but don't, and there's a serious mishap, can you justify that within yourself? Could y'all have prevented it?

Me again.
    Instructors won't do your work for you. But they'll give more of the right tools to work with to those students who they determine are genuinely sincere and willin' to go the extra mile to arrive at their goal.

And I should add that it's durn near impossible to fool a Big truck trucker into thinkin' someone's really sincere 'bout Big truck truckin' if they ain't. Call it a vibe, a sixth-sense, --- whatever.

All I know, ..... I think, ..... is
    Again, I have digressed.
    See?
    I told you.
    I digress all the time.
    It's twue!
    It's twue! :smt045:smt112

TooGroovy Thanks this.
  5. TooGroovy

Nov 2, 2011
    igetaround
    All I hear from Orange is good and FAIR! -- or someone who just was not paying attention (real funny stuff, too!!!) -- Right now, I am waiting until I have 5k in cash in the bank and all my bills paid and enough money to pay COBRA for 6 months if I have to (500 mo) before I embark... I thought Conway only hired 2 years +, I'll look into it -- they are a really GOOD company and I want to have as many pre hires as I can when I give my 2 weeks notice... All I want is a FAIR company to learn the business where I can concentrate on developing my driving skills and planning skills and getting to know the road... and I KNOW that takes effort on my part and working with the dm and being meticulous, but I just don't want to be swimming against the current in a river of... you get the jist.
    Thanks for the heads up, yeah I intend to be totally honest... good thing about my situation is that I am very flexible because I live alone and my last girlfriend ended up with the furniture (whatever...).

AfterShock Thanks this.
  6. AfterShock

Sep 19, 2007
    Not everyone comes away with that impression, but a lot of those who don't aren't very impressive themselves. Some folks prefer to operate under the radar. Not me. I want to be noticed. Schneider pays attention to those who can git-er-dun without havin' their hand held. In other words, those who can think their way through situations that will arise.
    You are very wise sir. And again, not many wannaBees do that. Many are flat broke and can't afford to live on the road long enough to make it. A savings account to back you up is thinkin' ahead and can make all the difference and relieve stress at a time when all of your energy should be concentrated on learnin'.
    You might be correct on the 2-years experience TG, but rules can be bent by any company if they want to. I was hired when a sign read they weren't, and the second company I applied with wanted at least 5-years experience and I was a few months shy of that. Their other company drivers had twice that and the L/O even more. Big truck truckin' companies want those who can perform. The number of years experience don't always guarantee ability.
    Yes, I sure do.
    When most of the other students I attended school with were lookin' for a company where they'd spend a year and move on, I aimed for the top with the intention of remaining with that company, climbin' the pay scale while gainin' experience. It worked.

While drivin' for Schneider I kept my eyes, ears and mind open for a better gig. Not that Schneider was lacking, I just wanted adventure, and found it in a company that did trade shows for the motorcycle, snowmobile and outboard motors industry. They also handled special events, photo shoots, new model tests, and pullin' the transporter for a number one Super Bike race team based near my home-20. We also warehoused the personal watercraft for Bay Watch, ( the TV show with Pam Anderson), and brought them to Hollyweird when they were filming.
    No more grocery warehouses! And we were dispatched by those who had spent 25 years or more actually drivin' OTR, so they knew what they were doin' and backed their drivers up.
    OH!
    I should add that part of the reason I was hired was due to Schneider's reputation. Also, I asked how much of what they pay me was for thinking. That caught their attention.
    You, sir, are a cut above most wannaBees. My gut feelin', which is pretty accurate, is that you'll impress the right company in the right way. Mark my words.

I, myself, am unattached, and my preference was to run for 6 to 8 weeks and then take a week, or so, off, --- all in a row. I'd just mention I'd like to get home within the next week or so. That way they had time to arrange loads to accomplish that. I never demanded to be home in a few days, --- especially when I was on the east coast. I made it a point to personally know my dispatchers, --- even sent 'em post cards 'cause I knew some of 'em missed bein' out there. When we understand their job, and work with them, thangs run a whole lot smoother.

I hope you'll keep us informed as you progress. WannaBees could learn a lot from you. :smt045:smt023 :thumbleft:

7. TooGroovy

Nov 2, 2011
    igetaround
    Thanks for the input...
    How cool about your gigs, sure... there are a lot of different ways of making a living in trucking. I have seen ads for people who do music shows, that transport valuables, antique cars and motorcycles... the more I read I see how after I pay my dues and become an expert the idea is to make MORE MONEY DRIVING LESS MILES! You got the right idea! But first I want to be an expert driver...that's why I want to get in with a good company where I can spend a few years learning (unless something really good comes my way).
    I hear what you saying about dispatchers, the post card Idea is a GREAT IDEA -- I betcha my DM is going to get a kick out of that when he gets his first one -- with a little "thank you for keeping me rolling!"
    Thanks for the good advice!!

That is what I am thinking too: 6 to 8 weeks and then 5 days or 7 if they give me 7 but 5 would be enough. That way run with the freight as much as possible, and, also when off the truck have the savings of 6 TO 8 paychecks and eat well, live it up a little, go for a nice bike ride and stay in a couple of hotels ( I ride a Vstar 18000).

I am hoping I can save 5k, but I am not starting with less than 3k -- and my bills paid -- and two months of Cobra -- That is my minimum.

AfterShock Thanks this.
  8. BanditTrucker

BanditTrucker Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2011
    KS
    i know this is 4 years old but are all CRE trainee's so poor they cant bring at least 20 dollars to eat from the mcdonalds dollar menu?

i guess that's how CRE makes a profit all their drivers started dirt poor so its ok if they continue to be dirt poor through out their time working for CRE.

9. TooGroovy

Nov 2, 2011
    igetaround
    I guess if you can't help it, you can't... but I think that with so many variables it is best not to be broke when going for orientation in the odd chance you may have to re apply to a second company or YIKES!!! --> a third, before you are given a job.
    It is hard for me to save, we had a salary cut a year ago in our company (they froze commissions) but it is better to be patient NOW than to be desperate later, and it's not like they will not be hiring.

AfterShock Thanks this.
  10. AfterShock

Sep 19, 2007
    Too Groovy,
    I predict that you will
    go far.
    And be well paid for every inch.

WannaBees!
    Listen UP!
    And read what Too Groovy is sayin'.
    He's got it right.

Side Bar, -----------------
    Have y'all ever seen those BIG, Big trucks with a house on the back of their well spec'd tractor? They usually have somethin' like ELECTRONICS EXHIBITION DIVISION painted on the trailer. How do y'all reckon they can afford a ride like that?
    Rest assured, they can't on .95 cents a mile.
    A few years ago, Horseless Carriage charged customers three bucks a mile for each antique or classic vehicle transported. Figurin' four cars in the wagon on a run from Reno, Nevada to Atlantic City, New Jersey, how much would the freight charges amount to?
    That ain't chump change amigos.
    Not to mention the $50 ---> $100 "tips" to the driver, that aren't uncommon for those able to afford vehicles that are worth a half a million bucks, or more, for providin' 'em with excellent service.
    It's nice to be appreciated. :biggrin_25525:

TooGroovy Thanks this.
  11. TooGroovy

Nov 2, 2011
    igetaround
    Thanks After, but its not such a big deal... everything I am saying is plain common sense...
    I am real thankful this forum is here to read up on so many topics from people with a lot of years in the business... and there are a lot of good ideas like the postcard idea to establish a relationship with the dm, tips on what is expected, etc...
    I have also been using the search engine using the word "ticket" and reading how people get tickets and what would they have done different -- weighting scales, not communicating on a tight window on a pp, etc...
    But I am NO GENIUS and I am glad it does not take a rocket scientist... but it is a serious commitment because it is not a job I can say "I don't like it -- I'm going home!" and I am glad it is that way -- that I will have to stay a year or longer before I can make my mind about it. It sure looks both fun and tough.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
    AfterShock Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.