First major expenses as an Owner Operator on the truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by feldsforever, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I have a real stupid question, how long have you had this truck?

shooter19802003 and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Yep, found that out the hard way, 36 hrs, 3k for an axle surgeon to come out and replace.

4. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    If we're being honest, it's better to get towed from a TA than on the side of the road. At least you get a cool place to wait, plus food and bathrooms.

They are only set up for maintenance and light service. Set your expectations low and you won't be too disappointed. You start getting into cutting badly worn or broken things apart, really anything that requires dealer supplied parts, you very quickly get beyond their capabilities. It's not a bad thing that they set limits on when to stop, and move you to a full service repair shop with the tools and talent to do it right and not take all week on a stuck bolt.

Been there done that, didn't get mad about it.

5. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    I'd say your doing better than 80% of new OO out there. Keep it up.

Yeah, you can adjust disc brakes, but that wouldn't have done you any good.

And to those questioning pre trip. No, you can not see rotor or brake pads in most instances

6. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
  7. feldsforever

Nov 22, 2019
    6-14-21

shooter19802003 Thanks this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Ok, here is what I see, and I am sorry if I am an ***** about it … having trucks with disc brakes, the condition of those brakes and pads were the worst I’ve seen in a long time.

It takes a bit of time to wear them down like this, so if you had this truck since the end of June then they needed to be replaced before you even drove the truck.

didn’t you have it inspected?

I don’t mean one of those superficial dot inspections but paying for someone to actually find crap wrong with the truck.

I insist to have an inspection where the wheels come off and the pads and rotors or shoes and drums are checked and a picture taken of them … yes a picture matters is what is done on used trucks.

once you have that inspected you go back to the seller with all the problems and make an offer with this items to be repaired or money taken off.

at $4100, you got away cheap, if you were caught with them, the towing bill and fines would have added more to the bill.

9. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana

Doesnt seem too terrible, and the pad only and inspection looks real easy.

Tools to buy once.
    Big Torque wrench (500)
    Electric impact (300)
    Jack/stands (500)

shooter19802003 and feldsforever Thank this.
  10. feldsforever

Nov 22, 2019
    No hostility taken. I'm learning more each go round. I didn't get it inspected prior to purchase. In full disclosure I drove it for 9 months prior to.
    Not that it matters at this point. But, I "did mean too".
    Lesson learnt on my end.
    Looking at the brakes, and seeing how bad that one was. I was one hard brake away from kaos. My gut hit my throat when I seen it. I can't back pedal now just have to prevent it from happening again.

11. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    If those are bendix, when you loose the chamfer on the rotor, its done, theres also apparently hash marks on the calipers that tell you when the pads are due.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.