First overweight ticket ever (GA) and some interesting stuff I learned

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Doing_flatbed_nc, Mar 16, 2018.

1. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    I'll be the first one to admit that I don't know everything there is to know about the CSA system and how points are assessed. I do however know that there are certain values for different offenses. But, I hate this constant Cherry-picking nonsense that has gone on it DOT and law enforcement circles.

whoopNride, xsetra and Ruthless Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

How bout when they "cut you a break" and give a warning w the inspection; so you get the CSA points but can't fight it bc it's NOT a ticket? Pretty lame.

Bean Jr., Derailed, KB3MMX and 3 others Thank this.
  4. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    We had a truck where the cable release broke and you couldn’t pop the hood. (Well, you could but you had to reach under and release it in the wheel well and lazy drivers won’t do that). The head mechanic said it had been broken for several weeks but drivers were saying they pretripped it every day. It is so rare that i see a driver popping the hood on any truck that I can’t help but stop and look.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Had you taken time to weigh one of these loads this conversation would have never happened, checking you weights ranks right up there with other pre trip stuff, it’s part of the job.
    Never trust customer weights.

6. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    weight tickets aren’t counted on csa..

Bean Jr. and IluvCATS Thank this.
  7. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    When I had trucks and drivers. I had a new hire first day on the job. To test them to see if they do their pretrip I zip tie the keys to the oil dipstick. He called to say there isn't any keys in the truck. I asked did ya check the oil? He replied yep sure did ! Again I asked are ya sure ? Yep was his reply.i told him plans changed go on back home don't need him for the day. A couple of days later I showed him where the keys were. Talk bout a deer in the headlights look !!

KB3MMX, wore out, Hurricane69 and 4 others Thank this.
  8. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Watch the eastbound scale on I-64 in Illinois,
    They're really enforcing axle weights, I got a warning for 520 over on my tandems, then this week I saw a forklift out back reworking a load on a flatbed and today it looked like a car hauler had to rearrange his load to get legal.

9. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Overweight tickets don’t go on your csa score. Sounds like another one making up rules as he goes.

Bean Jr., KB3MMX and Ruthless Thank this.
  10. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I was overweight 2 weeks ago with no inspection..And was told same thing by the cop. No points and not in driving record.

KB3MMX and Doing_flatbed_nc Thank this.
  11. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    That's it: but it'll give them cause to hang you up for 30 minutes and look for anything else lol

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  12. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Did you make it over
    other scales with no problem and get caught at one?

I ask bc I made it over a NC and a SC scale and was pulled in at that GA scale for overweight.

Makes me wonder what the process is for other states. I think weight isn't an issue as much as a carrier or truck being in compliance.

I've passed all my inspections. I think I've had 6 since I bought my truck. No tickets. So, I sail through most scales. I don't have pre-pass in the truck but states like GA with the lighted signs almost always give me the pass.

Cut to Florida. Going in, the first I-95 SB scale ALWAYS gets me on the scales and then passes me. I understand that. BUT- coming out empty on I-95 NB, they always have me sit on the scales too..... and then pass me. WHY????? I don't mind it much. I'm just wondering why they would waste their time and mine and back up the scale with a light truck.

KB3MMX and IluvCATS Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.