First overweight ticket ever (GA) and some interesting stuff I learned

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Doing_flatbed_nc, Mar 16, 2018.

1. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010

Just because DOT gives you the green light to go doesn't mean you are legal. It just means that the new batch of donuts arrived and they don't want to bother.

I've been green lighted with prepass and been over weight. I had a load shift and was 36,500 on the drives and the scale just south of evansville in gave me tge bypass.

If its over 30,000 and you haven't put it on a certified scale then you don't if your legal.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    This is awesome. I am so going to start doing this.

Streetroddreams Thanks this.
  4. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    6?? wow...You just started????

gotta learn to drive at nite bro...like an outlaw

RedForeman Thanks this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Not necessarily. That's the problem with small but heavy loads. It's rare they are always loaded from precisely the same starting point, especially in an enclosed trailer. A few feet will make a big difference.

6. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    There is a YouTube video showing the inside workings of a Florida super coop. Pretty insightful, it’s anazing how much they can see and tell before you even cross the main scale.

7. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    If FL scanners can’t read your plate, or your lettering, you go to the static scale. It may also be reading your overall length or your kingpin to rear axle length as being over, or numerous other things. Scanner once put me at 13’6” wide when I was 11’11” wide. My new truck has a deer guard which kind of hides my plate. Get pulled on the static every time I don’t get green lighted. I’ve recently moved the plate in front of the guard and get the bypass lane now.

KB3MMX, whoopNride and Ruthless Thank this.
  8. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    If it gets posted on an inspection, it appears as a "local ordinance violation" or the like, and carries small points. Like 1 or 2 if I recall. I had this happen with a newly acquired truck I had forgotten to add to my KYU inventory. Driver got a level 3 at a KY scale with that violation since the vehicle was not KYU correct. $165 ticket.

Had the ticket been issued with no inspection, it would not have posted on CSA.

Weekends are closed in a lot of states as well. Clearly everyone driving at night and on weekends tend to be substantially safer as a rule, or they'd be open all the time.

xsetra, nax and speedyk Thank this.
  9. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    Let’s try this again, overweight doesn’t count on csa, it got cut before the final rule on csa.. loogle it

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I think they dropped that in 2010 before CSA2010 actually got rolling, didn’t they?

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Google it yourself. 49 CFR 392.2. It's a fill in the blank violation for any local laws related to operating a vehicle, in the jurisdiction you happen to be in.

Just because they usually don't, doesn't mean they never will.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.