First time Driving through NYC

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Brettj3876, Mar 24, 2015.

1. DapperDan76

DapperDan76 Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2015
    Newark, NJ
    Brett, you're a workin man for sure. Other LTL jobs in the city are better, hopefully you get in a better groove. I used to do auto parts deliveries in the 5 boroughs with a day cab and 45' or 48' liftgate trailer that was 12'6" high. Didn't have much difficulty once I got the hang of it, I was able to get under the elevated railways and turn corners. Once I got used to the stops it was smooth - like the ones you're talking about, sometimes you have to come up one side of the street or the other, and if you don't know which side you can end up having to make a 20 minute trip around the block with people cursing at you. I had favorite bakeries that I knew I could park in front of on certain days - I'd roll in to 5 parking spots just as the street sweeper left and they weren't giving tickets, but the cars hadn't come back yet. Sending you in with a highway rig for multiple stops is rough. Good luck, be really careful. The most common tickets there in my experience are seatbelt and being off the truck route. They'll post a cop at a certain spot and assign him to give seatbelt or truck route tickets all day. Get the free truck route map from the NYC DOT website. It doesn't tell you where low bridges are, but if you stay on the highlighted routes to the closest point by your delivery you'll avoid tickets.

'olhand Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    olhand is rite , nyc isnt for everyone nor is foodservice work but the good thing about your job brett is you are not going to get fat anytime soon and after doin nyc for awhile not much intimidates ya .
    plus theres always that sence of accomplishment as ya cross back into jersy .
    stevens transport used to send a lot of trainees to the bronx market that were lost and wide eyed with fear as they crawled down leggett ave at 1am and i would help the ones that would listen ..it was good training for them and im sure alot of them became very good drivers .

'olhand Thanks this.
  4. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Just got back now, another 26hr run. This time was a 48 though. My co driver said they only bless you with a 53 when the case count is super high, usually 1 out of the 3 weekly trips. I don't mind the 48s or 53s even its those huge cascadia 70in condos they run. They have a few 48in midroofs but my co driver says he never gets one, must be on their naughty list haha.

2 stops in harlem, 3 in midtown, one happens to be right across the st from the empire st building, thought that was pretty cool. Other one is in roc center where fox news is filmed. That one is by far the hardest. 3 mall carts full and 2 regular carts, go through 2 freight elevators and to top it off you have to unload the mall carts stack it on little cart to bring it in the store. 2 in queens, one right by the jfk terminal and the other in Jamaica. On Wednesday's run he does a store in the bronx right off 278. Have to go from jfk to bnx and 678 is way backed up for being the middle of the day, not even rush hr.

I'm 3rd gen too man. My pops started out doing ltl around the city with a small company called interstate, not the big one you guys are thinking of. Doing a lot of coffee and dry bulk, back when everything was mob run and you had to "buy" a spot at a dock or you were sitting there all day.

Im working on getting my hazmat then its off to the races with a reputable company. On a side note You should see some of the looks I get when I'm driving. 21 but look like im 16, few us foods guys joking with me saying stuff like "does your mother know your out here son" or "aren't you suppose to be in school right now" I think its funny as #### especially when they think im a driver's helper until I jump behind the wheel

'olhand Thanks this.
  5. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Got the same looks when I looked 16...course I WAS 16...lol....jus told em old man was in bunk...things were different back then...and trust me you put your time in there keep your nose&record clean..hit the age where the ins company will let someone use you...youll have your pic of gigs...and jus to clarify...its the Today Show at Rock Ctr...Fox is over on Broadway....lol..Ive intruded on both of em a time or 5...LMAO

6. Pharroh336

Pharroh336 Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Willow Run Foods out of Kirkwood' NY? Would McLane out of Jessup PA be closer to you? They are always looking for drivers and probably treat you better than Willow Run. Just my opinion.

7. Andy7317

Andy7317 Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I know this is an old thread, but the info Brettj3876 is feeding about taking a 53' trailer to NYC with Wilow Run is BS. Brettj - Explain to me how you are doing food service work in a DRY van? Willow Run only has dry van trailers that are 53' in length. That would make keeping the freezer and cooler goods intact pretty difficult don't you think?

8. duckdiver

duckdiver Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    @andy are you the owner of willow run and know every single trailer your company owns? Maybe these leased one of those xtra 53 foot reefers. My company only uses 49s but we do keep a leased 53 reefer in our yard for backhauls. Not trying to call bs on either of you guys, irregardless I wouldnt want to deliver NYC in a 28 or even a box truck

Mike2633 and Andy7317 Thank this.
  9. Andy7317

Andy7317 Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2010
    @duckdiver - I am not the owner, but I have been with the company for nearly two decades. We have never used a 53' reefer. There are two 53' dry vans in the fleet and they only get used for paper goods by the linehaul division since 2011. For him to say "...they only bless you with a 53' when the case count is super high, usually 1 out of 3 trips weekly" is a complete fabrication. We deliver fast food. Can you imagine the carnage of trying to pull a 53' trailer into a Wendy's parking lot? It's hard enough with a 48' trailer!

10. duckdiver

duckdiver Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city

11. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I was going to say 53' is not a common size at all for customized food service. 48' is much more industry standard well 48 or less. I know McLane has a few 33' around.

Our chain guys use 50' which are a bit odd, but we do have a fair share of over night chain runs that use 28'. Our trailers also are only 13' high were a little shorter and we don't run sleepers at all.

I know the loads get heavy but from what truck guy said usually 53' would be over weight any how if they wanted to pack it all in so it's usually a no go. Heck 48' trailer usually gets over weight enough.

Andy7317 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.