First time I ever had to call the cops on another trucker

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by IROCUBabe, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Company policy precludes dot.

Easiest thing to do, just comply.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    yeah, I know. DOT sets minimums, if the company wants to stiffen up, it's their right. I was just doing what truckers do best: kvetching. Not to mention driving from the back seat.

4. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    It is sad though. I knew more about logs and the law than the lady in charge of them. I asked about recording fuel stops within 15 minutes when we fueled and so forth. She had a blank look on her face.

About 2 months later, the DOT was in to explain it all to her. That is when it hit the fan.

5. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    lol, I'll bet.

Compliance should at least have the basics down - and should only run into problems when the question gets unusual (say, when asked if Jury duty should go on line 1 or line 4)

6. Highballin

Highballin Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Cleveland Texas
    No not flawed math.You got a flawed truck there.:biggrin_25510:Must be one of the ol 238 Detroits.

7. Cynical Driver

Cynical Driver <strong>"Eternal Cynic"</strong>

Aug 27, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I was keeping the math simple, it transfers to any amount of driving per day. It works for 230 miles/day (why so little?), or 650.

Look, I was using my truck as an example. Everyone's sweet-spot will be a little different, I gave you the mileage that I get at those speeds. Adjust it for your truck, and the math will show the same savings. The point isn't what "speed" you go, it's what fuel mileage you get for that speed. But then, I think you know that, and are just trying to be combative, because you don't want to slow down to YOUR sweet-spot.

If they can "afford" to run that way, then why are they complaining about fuel prices? Slow down, and keep some of that money in your pocket. If i could manage to get 8 mpg, then I would be getting free fuel, because the surcharge would pay for it all!

Well, for one, I accelerate gradually, to conserve fuel. For another, Imagine a "ghost you" kept on rolling, how much further down the road would they be by the time you were up to speed? Also, again, assume that you were driving for fuel economy.

You will also have traffic lights, hills, and other traffic to contend with while getting back up and moving again. I am not talking about parking along-side the high-way. I am talking about moving from parked location to the highway, then getting up to speed. You are "supposed" to log the drive time getting back on the highway too, not just the time you are "at speed."

If anything, I was being too conservative on the 60 and 65.

8. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I said my sweet spot is at 63-68 m.p.h. and that's what I drive at . I don't think bean counters at the megacarriers know squat about fuel efficiency .
    If they did and their trucks were governed at 68 m.p.h. , when they bought new trucks the past few years they would have spec'ed those trucks to run most efficiently to run at 68 m.p.h. . There is no way you could later turn those trucks back to 60 m.p.h. and improve fuel mileage . That's the case with trucks in our fleet .
    Saying a FSC would pay the total cost of fuel is ridiculous . When fuel costs go down or fuel mileage increases the FSC should be lowered accordingly .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.