First time o/o's or buyers read this...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Kittyfoot, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Hanadarko

Hanadarko Independent Owner/Operator

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    If he has receipts - thats just about as good. I didnt have any receipts for any of the work done on this rig before I got it, so it was up to my own inspection and 'gut' feeling. I think I did ok. I didnt pull oil or coolant samples and if I do this again, I would. It's amazing what oil can tattletale on....My seller was honest.... The only thing I misjudged was the AC repair. I figured i was only a compressor, since it did engage (so there was FREON in the system) but sounded like a garbage disposer full of marbles. Well that wasnt the only issue...$1800 later and I have AC that will freeze the Mojave desert....but man was that pricey. Since then, I have long surpassed the actual cost of the rig in repairs and improvements...I didn't need 8 new drive tires but I hate doing things half-#######..ya know?

There are indeed a few things that just dont seem to add up with this rig but they are more of a mystery than anything else....I just get tired of having to fix/repair something only to find out that someone didnt use all of the RIGHT parts the last time. For example, my alternator blew and I found out the pulley on the old one wasnt the right size. It was too big. That pulley was a mere $120 at Kenworth or $25 at TruckPro (guess which one I took...). Yea, a bigger pulley will spin slower and consume less demand from the motor but sheesh...Can that really make any difference but for lower output at idle? - it now has the right pulley on it and runs perfect.

It's exciting to own your own rig...and in my case when I cruised into my neighborhood - the looks are priceless

:biggrin_25525:

dino6960 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dino6960

dino6960 YOUDAMAN

Jun 25, 2009
    florida
    heres my thing, first the gentalman dos have receips he's willing to send with the truck...there were some things that were done befor he bought the truck, the airbags and exshaust and some front end work...i think he said king pins an a front end alignment.....but as you know this is the price one pays for buying used.....but, with all the carb crap and they just found out that the company that did the report in california raised the levels 340% meaning the carb crap is all bullshyat.....besides i'm old lol so ,it's old........old is good:biggrin_25525:

4. Hanadarko

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    Your old? 45? HA!.....I am facing kingpins...$1500 is the range it looks like that will come in at...

5. dino6960

dino6960 YOUDAMAN

Jun 25, 2009
    florida
    Hanadarko, heres my situation...i got hurt at work and im receiveing a settlement...so this being said i am now a liablity......so i have to creat myself a job..i'v always had a dream of owning my own but never had the creadit or the cash to do it......this is the perfect opertunity to invest in mytself....as far as mechanical i can fix most stuff on the truck.....the only things i cant fix is doing a overhaul or fix the computer.....any thing else i'm game.....and these are things i love to to and that is half the battle.....i'v prety much hit rock bottom the only place esle to go is up:biggrin_25525:

Hanadarko Thanks this.
  6. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    Hey Dino,........Yous ever think about buying a car hauler???,..........

7. Hanadarko

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    I hear ya man...sure do. Yea, trucks are like anything else - just much bigger! - if you have a passion for something, you gotta go for it. I'm just saying what I am saying so you dont get stung. I love my KW but had I known fully what I would be investing in with all of the repairs and what not, I might have opted to purchase something newer...but even then, I could still have ended up dumping money into that as well. I think it's always a gamble no matter what we do. Heck, my newer cars have more issues and breakdowns than the 1991 car I still have!

I feel really bad for my buddy..dumping $19k into something he paid CASH for just back in April 2010...that could just as easily be me...
    I wonder if there is some formula for what you should save up for (or not spend initially) so you have repair money for the parts (usually only at a dealer of course) or labor for the really big things. I have dropped $10k at WI Kenworth since I bought the rig in June 2010...and thats just at KW...
    :biggrin_25523:

I wish you only the best and much success my friend!! :biggrin_255:

dino6960 Thanks this.
  8. dino6960

dino6960 YOUDAMAN

Jun 25, 2009
    florida
    :biggrin_25513::biggrin_25513:
    sorry wally.youv' had that thing for a while..and car hauling realy aint my gig.....

9. dino6960

dino6960 YOUDAMAN

Jun 25, 2009
    florida
    your are right , but we must all wonder, if man made it it will brake,man will abuse it, it will brake, can we trust trucks that are built out of country, no we cant..........and my last and finale saying......if it has wheels on it , your gona have problems with it, if it has bewbees on it your gona have problems with it,,,,,,which is the lessor of two evils......the truck cause it dont beyatch:biggrin_25525::biggrin_2559: and it cost about the same for up keep:biggrin_2559:

10. Toni Clay

Toni Clay Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Howdy partner. Just wanted to know about the comdata card. Just started at Central Refrigerated and that is what they have us using. Is it something I need to know about this since it is a company card and not one that I use for personal/business use?

11. Hanadarko

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    Presuming this is directed at me...Yea, many companies use COMDATA. Nothing wrong with it at all. It's the most common card out there...as a company driver, there isn't anything you need to know or worry about with that card. (as long as your employer doesn't shut it off!)
    One thing I always did (back in 1993) was photo copy my DL along with $500 cash and hide it really well inside the rig. This was 'mad' money, if I needed something and was stuck out here... I had a copy of my DL inside the truck in case my wallet was stolen. I mean you call the cops or something and it is MUCH easier if you can provide SOME sort of ID...there are many hiding places in a rig for sure...

Now, from my view with COMDATA... - I didn't like their application and monthly fee structure. They will not negotiate as they seem to think "I" need them more then "THEY" need me. I didn't have that issue with FleetOne or Wright Express or just about anyone else. Even for just 1 rig, they want a non-refundable $75 app fee. I refuse to pay a fee for a credit card, or in this case, essentially a fancy debit/EFT card...and I have no use for their COMDATA CHECKS either.
    TCH so far has been the best player for me for my fueling needs and offer a nice rebate if I fuel at Pilot or Loves....They waived all application fees (like everyone else) and there is NO monthly fee. It never hurts to ask if they will waive a fee...many times just asking works.....

Hope that helps driver! Hang in there....and give it at LEAST 6months (ideally 1yr) before thinking of opting to leave. If you run into issues - ASK PEOPLE for help....
    My buddy was 'too proud' to ask and walked away from an OTR company after just 1 week running solo (post trainer time) and they trashed his DAC...
    He had an unfortunate series of events, but really needed someone to talk him down from the ledge (so to say) and he didnt call anyone. When he told them he was headed back to the terminal instead of making his delivery - they shut off his COMDATA card, so he said hell with it and fueled up the rig with his own $ and got home..dumped the truck safe and sound in the yard. They had the ballz to charge him $3/mile for OUT-OF-ROUTE miles when he took the liberty of taking the truck home to the local yard. I mean maybe thats fair from the company point but it wiped out his last check for sure..

I wish you the BEST OF LUCK!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
    Toni Clay Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.