First time with no governor

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Gulf, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    I'm not speed limited and the fastest I've been is 77-78 getting around some idiot 4 wheeler. The 1st 3 yrs driving @65 and I still cruise 65-68. Self control, use it

When I do use it its for gaining speed on an upcoming hill

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Careful, he might have one of those John Force signature edition Cummins

TruckRunner and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I think to leave my favorite slowing to 121 mph from 140+ downgrade prior to the start of the Milesburg 10 mile pull....

With that said, there have been trucks in the past who displayed good engineering and adequate power and so forth to pretty much blow all of our doors off upgrade on Fancy Gap for example while loaded. It's something to see in those days.

Maybe some day the companies will stop with this nickly picking BS governing cold feet and allow the rigs to get up and run like it was long ago.

5. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    They could let trucks run like long ago, but we don’t have drivers like long ago. Opening trucks up would be like giving junior high kids new Vettes, because the drivers today act like they are still children.

6. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    When I bought my Volvo 5 years ago it came set at 72 from the factory. About 2 years ago I took off the limiter. Can goto 90 but that is just reckless. Also prior to Elogs I would set my CC to 62 -63 and now on Elog I am cruising at 65.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You are so right.

OMG, Ive been stupid. *Bangs head. Fine. How about 85 as governed limit because that is the fastest you can run legally in some states. Im not worried about myself or other oldsters who can run dollar and beyond. It's all these new generation that might not do well at that.

8. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    I’m now convinced that to theoretically and, hypothetically run the 5 between Redding and the Grapevine at 60mph during the day your truck needs to be able to go 72mph. These mega trucks going 53-55mph would seem to kill any momentum a driver could get. They also cause amazing traffic jams as people (trucks/ 4 wheel) try to navigate the rolling roadblock, and I don't like to cast aspersions on a group of companies, but they’re going to get us all killed.

Driving at night I believe you can click the cruise on 60mph and just let it run.

I tend to drive at night.

9. steve092

steve092 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    No governor is the best feeling ever while driving a truck

- If you have a time sensitive load push the speed up a bit.

- If another trucker refuses to let you pass while doing the limit than just blow by him and he will feel stupid.

- _You won't be like these other trucks going 105 beside each other for 15 minutes on two lane trying to pass.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    86scotty Thanks this.
  10. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Paying all the bills gets your attention quick ;)

GreenPete359 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.