First Winter Effects Very cold, icing Goodland KS 10-13-2018 Next 4 days

Discussion in 'Truckers' Weather & Road Conditions' started by x1Heavy, Oct 13, 2018.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Last season, western Kansas [generally speaking] did not get any significant winter weather events like they normally do. They were very fortunate last year (unless you're a Kansas farmer] So, they're due to get back into their normal or bad winter weather reality.

x1Heavy, Dave_in_AZ and bzinger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Lived in the north all my life and we haven't had any cold weather yet ...2 weeks ago we were still dealing with severe thunderstorms and temps in the 90s ....this ain't the weather channel lol

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    =)

I'll go along with that.

Rapid city does have my name on it 14 mm to be exact I think Sturgis is around there. I got caught in a blizzard white out westbound on that upgrade once. Not often I was afraid for not my own life but anyone coming up behind.

bzinger Thanks this.
  5. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Also when I worked for the Nebraska dept of roads we had sensors on our trucks that would tell us the pavement temperature .

Dave_in_AZ and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Our trucks and cars have the same thing.

**Bangs head. Im so stupid, dense. Devil dances on the small details I overlook.

You would think there is a way to block, package and broadcast that mass data in real time to anyone who wants to know.

Dave_in_AZ and bzinger Thank this.
  7. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    No biggie heavy and still love ya !
    It would have to snow a ton in low elevations to be much of a game changer .
    In 1996 we got a foot of snow in Omaha a week before Halloween and raised he'll with the trees and power but the next morning the roads were just wet .
    There's a mile rise between Omaha and Denver so the story between Omaha and North Platte can be much different.

8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I think the elevation at the CO/NE line is 6000, Denver is 6600 or so maybe. I forget exactly. Omaha is 1000 and change.

Westbound is upgrade generally. Ive turned in some of the worst fuel ever going that way into the teeth of opposing storm winds exceeding 80. You would think you are not to take a truck out in that kind of wind (And you don't) but those winds go straight east. So... Shrugs.

I like you too, but let's not get mushy. //Tease.

I'll keep an eye on this weather and will put up new information should something change.

bzinger Thanks this.
  9. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Lmao yeah I won't tell the wife ....my ex father in law was the truck engine manager for caterpillar in Omaha and pointed that out to me after his customers wanted to know why they're fleets got less fuel mileage going west to Denver and better coming back ....its so gradual.

Lepton1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. Swiss Mountain Dog

Swiss Mountain Dog Medium Load Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Texas
    East Texas is having massive thunderstorms and tornado drama tonight. More of the same thing tomorrow. I feel for y'all with ice and snow...

11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ok I'll take a look at it.

Texas East coverage of storms is expanding within 30 hours. Arkansas is expecting a part of it in a few days. Models are not precise. If it really gets to be a herd of tornadoes I'll create a thread and post then later next week.

Storm Prediction Center Oct 13, 2018 1730 UTC Day 2 Convective Outlook

Snow One inch/Hourly as of now in the CO/NE region

Storm Prediction Center Mesoscale Discussion 1579

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.