Fitzgerald 60 series Detroit 12.7

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by RKH, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I just had mine done with an FP kit. It’s a good kit. Made in USA. Even had head bolt washers. Another good one I considered, and really wanted was Mahle. Both are good. The mechanics tell Me Interstate Mcbee is also good, The one they all agreed on is PAI, being the worst. Gaskets sets being cut sloppy, and inferior parts, that don’t always fit right. The Mahle was about $500 more, but not readily available. But Federal Mogul is a well established company. Been making oem parts for years.Especially for Ford, I’m told. Ford Along with Rousch has done a lot of R & D with Federal Mogul. I like Mahle, because they made the original Detroit pistons, I’m told you can find both Detroit, and Mahle names on originals and claim to have a patented design that runs cooler. They also own Clevite bearing, another staple in oem parts. But the FP kit is good, quality Graphite gaskets. Got the approval of my Mechanic, who used to work for Rousch,and we even had a Detroit Engineer at the shop commenting on the quality of FP and Mahle. The true test will be Monday, when we fire it up. The Mahle supplier claims that Detroit oem kits use Chinese liners, but they’re good. Don’t know if that’s true, but I don’t want Chinese Parts in my Detroit. Especially since I’m from Detroit, and believe in USA engineering. Another thing to consider, The Engineer said they see a lot of aftermarket heads that are milled a tiny amount too far. Causing the cam gear to mesh too tight. Big problem, says I did good, using Detroit reman Head. From what I can tell so far, FP, and Mahle are as good if not better than oem. Mahle was $2368, through a local supplier. FP was $1880 through M&D distributers, Houston. Add valve cover gasket,$30. I too did the same as you on my last Truck same 99 ddec4. Wasn’t happy with the work the dealer did. Wrecked it 6 mos later. Lol. This time, I decide what gets done. Good Luck

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    RubyEagle and jotz007 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jotz007

jotz007 Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    Thanks for reply. Yeah I'll go with FP diesel kit this time since they seem to be a reputable company. Good luck with yours as well.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Interstate McGee is what two shops use by me. But I not saying there any better just that they use them

5. jotz007

jotz007 Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    Hopefully we're doing fine in this pandemic. I wanted to update on my engine rebuild but we all got stranded with this coronavirus outbreak. At the mean time my deepest respect goes out to drivers working hard and risking their lives to get the supplies delivered. Be safe and may God look after all my driver brothers and sisters. Please take your part in social distancing and using measures to protect yourselves. Stay blessed!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.