Fitzgerald Gliders might be getting more attention than they’d like

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Zigzag777, Feb 15, 2018.

1. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Wasn't trying to pick on you because you are a company driver. I respect all professional drivers and there opinions. I am on the fleet maintenance/management side of the house, so I see the the whole cost of this unproven technology. As usual, the government went about the whole thing bass ackwards.

Oxbow and SAR Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    What was the better path? The problem is unless there's huge pressure the engine manufacturers are going to drag ### on emissions improvements. We saw it in the 70s when cars were forced to evolve and it took a few years to get everything working, but they got it working.

4. spsauerland

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    They should have chosen a blend of efficiency and emissions. They went all emissions, now want efficiency. Should have brought them together. Gasoline emissions and diesel emissions is like comparing apples and oranges. What is average duty cycle of Prius vs a Pete? Bet pound moved/work done vs fuel burnt Pete is winner.

SAR and Oxbow Thank this.
  5. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Surely, but my example was legislation pushing innovation. It's easy for companies to invest in efficiency which customers will see and pay for, but to reduce emissions it's like pulling teeth. So it's the clean air act vs tier 4 emissions, they both hurt but hopefully tier 4 pulls out like cars did in the 70s.

6. spsauerland

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Hope flushed this country down the tubes the last two terms in my opinion. Business savvy operators will buy gliders or run non EGR motors til efficiency is back.

ODR, SAR and Oxbow Thank this.
  7. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Is there any information out there where we can compare old engines vs new ones? From what I've read, people with old engines are bragging about hitting 7 mpg. The 2015 Cascadia I drove was averaging 8 mpg.

8. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Ahhh clean air is good.
    Low emission engines is necessary for our survival.
    CFCs and the Ozone Layer used to be the thing, somehow we solved that problem by reducing CFCs,
    So this means that man does have an impact on the planet.
    Amazing

9. rogueunh

rogueunh Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Is Dr. David Viner, lead climate research scientist at University East Anglia in 2000, currently head of Climate Change program of the British Council, a climate science expert? Does he count? Because he has made some doozies of predictions beginning around the year 2000. (Meaning, terrible ones).

And, he is not alone. But at least they have figured out where they were going wrong. See, they were making predictions where the result would be seen within their lifetime. So now, they make predictions much farther out, like the year 2100 etc. They will all be dead before they can see how wrong they are.

10. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Where have you been? The summers have been breaking temperature records every single year, and aside from the polar vortex the winters have been much warmer.

11. rogueunh

rogueunh Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2011
    The scientists said kids born in the year 2000 would not know what snow is. Miami was to be underwater by the year 2020. By 2010 there would be 50 million climate "refugees" from Caribbean, island areas, and low lying areas. North pole "ice free" by 2013. Even more incorrect about Antarctic. Hockey stick graph anyone???

The cold harms more people than warmth globally. Follow the money trail, and you'll see why "scientists" enjoy scaring people like you. Being dramatic sells. And they have dramatic down to a "science" LOL.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.