Fix or buy new steer axle?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Bigrigmayo93, Mar 20, 2019.

1. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Right and the grease cap goes on the spindle not the axle.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    I have used axle surgeons before on two steer axle kingpin bores, quite a few a drive axle spindles and one trailer axle. The franchise I use is two brothers and they each could weld a d**k on a snowman. I usually use local spring shop on steerable lift axle if needed. Haven't had any issues with the repairs at all. Saves serious downtime and $$$. To remove welded cap, a die grinder and a good sharp deburr bit does the trick. Most all kits include new caps nowadays.

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Axle surgeons have a line of their own parts, hubs, spindles, king pins. Being mobile, they come to you.

Bigrigmayo93 Thanks this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    All the talk about axle surgeons. You really don’t know whether or not they’re needed, until the spindles off and if the king pin bushings are completely wore out to the point the axle has been egg holed out by the king pin. Caps welded on? Sounds like it’s a common thing. Due to bolts breaking or stripping. As stated that’s on the spindle. Makes sense since a spindle costs $1200. I would price it out both ways. Worst case scenarios, new axle vs axle surgeons doing the whole job including welding/ repairing axle.

6. Bigrigmayo93

Bigrigmayo93 Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Chicago Illinois
    A buddy of mine recommended a spring shop he went to for kingpins
    I will go there.
    So I’ll be finding out ASAP about the condition of the axle

7. Bigrigmayo93

Nov 28, 2016
    Chicago Illinois
    Update

My mechanic found a front end off a 2010
    We replaced kingpins, tie rods, u bolts, leaf spring bushings
    This axle came with 2 draw keys
    My previous axle had the single draw key

I got an alignment done yesterday. Put on some new Michelin’s & the truck is driving straight & pretty smooth

I also stated I had a pretty bad jump while driving 45 mph & 55 mph but it was actually a bad fuel line. I blamed the suspension but found out it was a mis fire the day I took the truck to the shop due to my fuel filter restriction gauge shooting into the red & loss of boost & it started doing it around 30 mph when I went into 8th gear.
    So all brand new fuel lines as well.

8. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Easy enough to cut that weld and install a helicoil, so you can properly bolt the cap on, Like it should have been done to start with, that has zero to do with the actual axle. steer axles are by no means cheap.
    Easy enough to also check the wear in the king pins, to see if they are even needed.

9. Bigrigmayo93

Nov 28, 2016
    Chicago Illinois
    It was bird #### weld.
    I got a great deal on the front end.
    I decided to change king pins on the new axle since I was already working on the front end & they were pretty worn already. No reason to cheap out especially since I was buying new steers & getting an alignment done.

10. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Good deal, I just changed king pins in mine and made the first trip, she seems to be cured, it had just a little bounce right at 55 before.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.