Flat Spots on 2 Drive Tires

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by tallmon, Jan 19, 2018.

1. tallmon

tallmon Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2014
    I have a day cab, dual axle and it looks like the brakes on a hub locked up or were frozen one morning last week and the driver drove around the yard for a little bit like that. The two tires now have a matching flat spot that can be felt while bob-tailing. When under a load you can't feel it. They are recaps.

What would you do: Replace? Rotate one tire to another axle or hub? Leave it alone and it'll wear in?

thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    How much tread is left on the flat spot? The shop should at least rotate/flip them around so one position isn't bottoming out. If the flat spot is less then 4/32 they need to be replaced.

4. tallmon

tallmon Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Plenty of tread, they are fairly new tires.

Yes, I'm thinking of just rotating one around so the spots are on the same place in the rotation.

5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Looks like somebody just got 2 trailer tires.:biggrin_2559:

tinytim, Grubby and Heavyd Thank this.
  6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I would just rotate them as best you can to offset the flat spots 180 degrees apart and see how it goes. Or like semi said, make them trailer tires.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Got to make sure all you're wheels are turning,,,I only did that once in all my career and I did all my trucking in the Midwest, so frozen brakes were a daily ritual sometimes. My 1st trucking job, late 70's, I worked there about 3 years, came time to move on, my LAST day, I left the yard, and on the 1st corner, maybe 100 ft., I noticed in my mirror, a trailer wheel was stuck. By the time I turned around, maybe 1/8th of a mile, and got back to the yard, I had 2 flat spots, almost to the cords. Apparently, it doesn't take long. I felt terrible, and the boss was pissed, but he knew it was my last day. I offered to pay for them, but he said forget it. ( The job sucked, but he was a great guy) And for the next 32 years, before I left, I made sure all my wheels were turning.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Put them on the trailer.

I generally don't do recaps. I prefer new tires once before winter each year and I know I can get at least that much of of them before the next fall set of new tires. Old tires go to trailer work.

I am biased against recaps in general.

If you are pushed for money or out of options, at least swap those drives around put the baldies on either side outer wheels on the bogie (Second drive axle.)

9. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Flat spots will propagate around the tire, eventually ruining them. Find a shop that has a tire shaver and have them trued up again.

Not sure where you’re at but Falken Tire in Jacksonville, Florida has one.

10. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    And make sure whoever does it lets the air out and shaves them while the tread is flat. I had one guy there reverse crown my tires, taking too much out of the middle and not enough off the sides because he didn’t know how to run the machine.

11. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Recaps you can get a section put in.

lilillill Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.