Flatbed companies with good home time?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by bighaulc-15, Jun 19, 2012.

1. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    I could not imagine being in a truck for 3-4 months! I hope you are planning to get out of the truck in the near future.

SHC Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    AMEN to that.... LOL

4. OpenRoadDreamer

OpenRoadDreamer Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Alabama
    If youre talking to me, I got no reason to go back... No friends there, no "family". So why not just stay out?

5. Trashtrucker1265

Trashtrucker1265 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Inverness, Fl
    OpenRoad, you weren't in PA late this week were you? I saw two Prime guys loading out of Bucyrus in Washington, think it was thursday night.

6. OpenRoadDreamer

Apr 26, 2011
    Alabama
    Nope that wasnt me. Last week I was between ND and PA lol

7. rjmcgee

rjmcgee Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Klamath Falls, OR
    I have to brag, I leave Monday around noon, usually home Wednesday night, then home again mid day Friday.
    2500 - 3000 miles a week, but Fridays are usually all deadhead miles to get home. Small local company.

8. OpenRoadDreamer

Apr 26, 2011
    Alabama
    Im extremely happy here at Prime, no matter what anyone says. Good company for me. I dont want to work for some small company, sure dont want to be at the house everyday/week/month.

9. BigRigBamaTrucker

BigRigBamaTrucker Light Load Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Prattville,Alabama
  10. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    Why do you work? Surely your goal in life can't be to live in an 8x8x8 aluminum box performing tasks that are both mentally and physically demanding. Is there something about your home you dislike? No matter what you do you can only work 70 hours in 8 days. Wouldn't you say it would be a higher quality of life to work 5-6 days and then take 1-2 days and get away from your job. I certainly feel that way about my job, and I am home every night. Don't you have hobbies or interests that you could do if you had a day off every week? Sometimes new hires will explain to me that they don't care if they are home on the weekends (its rare but it happens). I explain to them that there are opportunities where that comes in handy. However, you still can not get around the 70 in 8 rule. If you work hard when you are out there, you will exhaust you 70 in 5-6 days. Wouldn't you prefer taking your restart at home then in some crappy TS.

By no means am I trying to tell you how to live. I just think you will burn yourself out in a hurry if you never get out of the truck. Everyone needs some downtime to unwind. As I said earlier, trucking is both physically and mentally demanding. If being out for long stretches is working for you now, go with it. I would just have a different plan for whan those walls start closing in on you.

BigSam Thanks this.
  11. hawkjr

hawkjr Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Virginia
    better man than me.... no way in hell i can stay in a truck more than 7 days!! usually i'm in the truck between 4 to 6 days, only twice i've been in the truck more than 10 days...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.