Flatbed - hard work?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by capital j, Aug 3, 2011.

1. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Of any truck driving job I've had, pulling a flatbed OTR is the easiest one I've ever had. From what you describe, you should worry about ensuring that you're trained to properly secure loads rather than the amount of work involved.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
    faux_maestro Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. misc

misc Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2010
    Flatbedding isn't that bad. Generally speaking, I only bust my ### for about an hour or so every other day. I get tarp pay, so in my mind it's a paid workout. Sometimes the toughest part is staying alert when I need to drive 600 miles after tarping.

EV87 Thanks this.
  4. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Overnight delivery........:biggrin_25518:

5. coolhandkh

coolhandkh Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NW Florida
    What is average CPM for flatbed OTR?

6. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I was % my last gig. Prior to that I got 41cpm.

7. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    You'd have to call around to different companies and ask them. Naturally, it's going to be less for someone starting off than for someone with experience.

8. arrow4101

arrow4101 Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Yes, flatbed trucking can be hard work but it is also rewarding work with a much higher pay scale than dry vans. I loved it, liked the mental challenge of securing irregular odd loads and want not. You get to see a lot of different things from steel mills to pop can factories.

There are a lot of drivers that should not be flatbed drivers because they do not want to take the time to secure their loads properly. If you are willing to OVER secure your loads, tarp and stop every 100 miles or so to re-tighten your chains and/or straps then go for it. If that sounds like a pain in the ### then don't get into flatbedding.

I will admit as most other drivers probably won't that there are loads that will scar you, or should. I re-powered a load of hardwood trim that was close to 13' 6" and was made up of tons of little individual packs. I got the load from the other driver late at night. I looked it over well in the morning and found all the straps were loose (loose is being kind, more like 6" of slack), it was leaning and a total nightmare. I called in and told the company I needed a forklift, they asked for pictures and I sent them. They agreed the load was bad and the forklift came out. Of course I had to untarp and retarp.

It was a 1400 mile load and I was uncomfortable with it the whole time. It was not as stable as wanted it to be even with 14 straps because of the way it was loaded.

Most of the time though I did enjoy flatbed trucking and yes SOMETIMES tarping sucks but most loads are fairly easy after you get some experience. I would make $40 for every time I tarped. Multiply that by three loads a week and you have $120 in your pocket or $6,240 yearly. Your way ahead of dry van/reefer drivers already! :biggrin_25525:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Sure is nice to read about someone other than us LTL guys getting garbage freight to deal with. Now I don't feel so bad.:lol:

10. BROKENSPROKET

BROKENSPROKET Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I was in consruction before I strarted hauling flatbed. You will already be used to wearing steel toe boots, high viz, safety glasses and hard hats, so that is a plus. Beling taller/longer is a plus. Not being overweight is a huge plus. But being only 140, you might have to jump on that winch bar.

You don't get to sweat all day. Summer, you can get all hot and sweaty while loading and unloading, then you get sit in a truck for hours in those clothes, unless you change, like I sometimes do. In the riain, you will want to have a rainsuit. If you have just the jacket, your pants will get soaked.

11. RogerThat72

RogerThat72 Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2014
    I can sit here and say flat bedding is NOT for me and be happy about it lol

TheFriscoKid Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.