Flatbed rates i was quoted today

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by rbht, Jan 8, 2013.

1. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    It isn't business that I currently have. I just think that there is potential within my existing customer base. There are always better gigs out there, and it sounds like you have a pretty good one, Les.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    No I run under my cousins authority. I guess its about the same but I give him a % to do it, I just do whatever I want. He also looks for me, and I will say he is good.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  4. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    Thats most likely a good thing for you, probably pay less % to him than any other carrier. I have a friend in MI who would take me on if I had my own truck and charge 15%, for finding my loads. I would much rather do that than anything else.

5. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    I try to base a rate off of the area its going. Chicago is a good freight area but going into and thru can get costly and be a PIA so I would go high on any rates to cover costs.

I have a good deal with what I'm doing. I highly doubt I would ever lease back on to a carrier like a was before.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  6. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    If you can secure your own freight, handle the compliance, and float the receivables there's no reason to. Different people have different needs.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  7. SheepDog

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    CPAPE, would you explain, to me, what "float the receivables" means? LOL Sorry, just not sure..

8. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Having deep pockets to pay your bills while you wait for your customers to pay you..
    Some may take up to 90 days to pay you.
    Then you get the one that burns you big time and never pays..

SheepDog Thanks this.
  9. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    In trucking you have expenses, namely fuel and drivers wages (even if paid to one's self) at the time the you perform the service. Most customers pay 30 days after the services are provided. There are a very few that pay quicker, and more that pay slower. Even if Les is making $1000 on 200 miles, he could go broke because of a cash flow problem if his customer stretches payment out to 60 days because he still has bills that need to be paid. It would be even worse if the customer declares bankruptcy and sticks you for several thousand dollars. It is a real risk that many don't understand when going independent.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  10. SheepDog

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    Thanks for clearing that up, I understand now and that makes sense.... Thats why I feel leasing on with a company first, to learn all a driver cank, and than getting one's own authority, is better than just getting authority after being a company driver.

11. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

And factoring your bills to me seems not such a good deal.
    Maybe when starting out, but I hear the cut in true money and fees can kill you over a period of time

SheepDog Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.