Flatbed Routes:Advice

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by SteelCityGrinder, Jul 29, 2021.

1. SteelCityGrinder

SteelCityGrinder Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2020
    Pittsburgh
    I am a company dispatcher booking loads for flatbed’s. I have less than a year experience with hotshot’s and car hauling. We have 5 Pete’s with 53’ and 48’ trailers. I am working on building relationships with direct shippers and am restricted to DAT, Truckstop, and several other boards.

I am getting between $7000 - $9900 per week gross running 5 days. Out Monday morning, back Friday.

We are hauling steel, lumber, building products, equipment, recycling, conduit, whatever the best paying loads are for backhauls. This will be my third week booking the trucks. Trucks can scale 48K, chains & binders, straps, dunnage, and tarps with 8 foot drops.

I am responsible for the paychecks of 5 drivers, and would appreciate any help in getting them paid. Also making their life easier would be a bonus, but my drivers are not lazy, they are all soldiers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    I’d really be surprised if anyone would come on here and tell you where their best routes are. I mean what’s next? You want our girlfriends phone numbers and maybe our best fishing spot where I caught a 10# bass? Not trying to be rude but would you give out information on your best customers?

4. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    Some company drivers are very experienced. It’s not out of the question to run loads and pre planned loads by them. Just because the computer says this load is best, doesn’t mean it’s the best option

God prefers Diesels and cke Thank this.
  5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    7k-9k a week gross per truck 5 days a week... that is pretty good.... Dont fix what aint broken?

6. SteelCityGrinder

SteelCityGrinder Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2020
    Pittsburgh
    I’m not asking for your routes or secrets. Just a little guidance. Experience is a great teacher, any of yours you share would be greatly appreciated. I am learning as I go but my difficulties are evident in my drivers routes and paychecks.
    With the shortage of trucks and drivers I’m just looking for help figuring there has to be enough to go around. What can I offer in exchange? I’d be happy to contribute in anyway I can in exchange for a little helpful info.

Looking to not be “The Guy” who drives rates down.

7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    How are you paying your drivers? Mileage, percentage, hourly, flat rate? W-2 or 1099?
    Getting your drivers paid is a number one priority and with the miles you're running your cash flow should be pretty good.

BigBob410 and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  8. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    Listen to your drivers.... they can tell you when a load from the XYZ shipper is a real waste of time and not worth going back. Don't write a shipper off on one report, give the bad reports a second chance with a different driver.
    The load that takes 3 or 4 hours to load or unload for a shorter haul (under 300 miles) may be a cost.

9. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    Not hauling recyclables on a flatbed is a tip for starters

10. Chrisap55

Chrisap55 Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2021
    Don't get why this is hard to understand. Other drivers are your competition, not the brokers, not the shippers, not the customers, not the lumpers. The driver parked next to you at night hauling cheap freight is your problem. If I had lanes setup to and from my house with a broker before they even put it on the board, why would I want to share that information with other drivers? If I was a painter and has a customer paying me $5,500 a square foot, why would I go around telling all the other painters in the area hey this guy is giving money away, come undercut me and take my business away?

11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Some drivers go around doing just that

BigBob410 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.