flatbed vs. dry van

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by FloridaDudester, Jun 18, 2019.

1. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    If you dont mind answering, just out of curiosity what is your current business?

jamespmack Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FloridaDudester

FloridaDudester Light Load Member

May 13, 2019
    I don't mind at all. I own Digicor, inc. We sell, lease, rent and service multifunctional copy machines (print, scan, Fax, copy). I generally work only about 10-20 hours per week in my business. Virtually all of that can be performed remotely ( most is billing customers). I do some sales, but mostly we have established customers that stay with us year after year and we upgrade them as necessary. 75% of my revenue is from service contracts and in house rentals, which I own. It's actually a very good business. Even if I stayed over the road all the time, I don't expect to earn the money I make in my business now. I also own 4 rental houses that I own out right. I started that two years ago. My goal is 8 of them. I've been buying one a year and paying people to help me fix them up. I rent them out for income. It's part of my retirement nest egg.

I like business! Driving for a while is a means to an end. It will allow me to get out and learn the business, so I can build a small fleet. Just like with houses, I look at a truck as an income stream. Buy used trucks, fix them up using small local mechanics that I know or will meet. Then hire drivers, either home grown by paying for their CDL school locally, or hiring drivers and structuring their driving around their personal goals as best as possible..... Treat them better and allow them a better opportunity to own a truck, if thats what they want. Is trucking the best industry to build another business? I see potential as a small fleet owner to do quite well. There are a lot of risks, but I take calculated risks and like to change things up and keep moving.

Anyways, that's what I do and part of my plan. The goal has to be $5,000 per truck per week gross to make it work well in my calculations. Initially, I am going to learn from hard knox and skip all the steps that the average guy is going to have to do. I will pay cash for a truck and trailer, the same way I do with my houses. I have no debt in my existing company. You may ask why not expand my existing company? Because I'm just over it. I need a change and a new challenge. Each truck is like a house to rent, except it eats a lot of cash and there are challenges that will make a guy crazy if not prepared for it.

4. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I'm fairly new around here. I'm a fairly new owner op but not a young guy. 25 years with a fortune 500 company before I 'semi'-retired and got my own authority. I always wanted to run my own small business and went with trucking because I know it and like most of us, I wanted the freedom of the road.

Why am I saying all of this? I'm now going to ask you what my tax man (old-school smart guy) asked me when I sat down with him to do my taxes for the first year a couple months back:

"So you wanted to start a business. Why on earth did you choose the most overly regulated, overly charged, costly business there is, period?" I'm still thinking about this about every day.

Good luck, you don't sound like a guy who needs a lot of advice but you'll find some good stuff here if you go for it. Being in Florida, as others have said, may be your biggest problem.

5. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Ignoring that the national spot rate for dryvan in April was $1.81 per mile and ignoring there is deadhead, but at an average of $2.30 per mile, $10,000 is 4,347 miles a week, which at 65 mph, that's over 66 hours of your 70 hours that you can work.

$10,000 gross is the kind of number that hear at the truckstop counter, or from a veteran member of TTR who brags about going 140 mph in a cabover. It ain't happening pulling a dryvan.

6. FloridaDudester

May 13, 2019
    I believe you.. since I wrote that earlier today, the dry van ship has sailed. I'm not one to work that many hours. Maybe 20 years ago. I'm starting out with a flat bed and rolling tarp system of some sort. The reason: My quote from progressive was actually less pulling a skate board than a dry van. I wanted to do that, but felt the flatbed would be a lot more for liability. For me, at least, it isn't. The math speaks for itself in your post, but impossible once in a while, I doubt that. It takes luck, planning and being at the right place at the right time. I see it's not likely, though.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  7. DLJ

DLJ Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2017
    10k a week ? lo l , i'm a dispatcher and my drivers dont do that , 8.5k top and not every week

Dino soar and jamespmack Thank this.
  8. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    With the way things go, you are realistically looking at $4-4.5k weekly gross on 2500 miles. It's brutal out there on the spot market unless you can find a company with direct weekly dedicated freight to keep you busy.

9. DLJ

DLJ Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2017
    my guys are making 5-6500 gross on aroun 3500 miles wk

FloridaDudester and jamespmack Thank this.
  10. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    OP mentioned he is not a young chicken anymore and has to take care of some other stuff during the week, does not look like he would be running that many miles

Dino soar and jamespmack Thank this.
  11. FloridaDudester

May 13, 2019
    That's hauling a dry van, right? Is that approximation of 3,500 based on total miles, or just loaded trips?
    Coming out of Florida, there seems to be two choices: long dead head to get to good paying loads, or taking cheaper loads that eat time, to get to those better loads.

I haven't bought a truck yet and already subscribed to DAT truckers edge professional, to familiarize myself with the lanes and 15 and 30 day averages for those lanes. My first truck is going to be a flat bed. The insurance rates were actually a little less through progressive. Besides, for a bit more work and ability to load and offload quicker, its more money that dry van from what I've observed on DAT load board and youtubers I follow.
    No, I probably wouldn't. I'm 55 years young and am eager about driving some, but really am more interested in learning and building a small fleet. Since I have a profitable small business in place, I don't have the pressure to keep a truck busy. I also won't invest more than I need to in order to have truck and trailer that can make me money. I figure if I ask the questions and get enough answers, I can decipher the truth from the hype. I've been around too long to be fooled and I do too much preparation to make sure I have a solid plan or at least one which I can recover from if things (too many repairs, for one) turn out worse that I even anticipate. Thanks for your input. I appreciate all you guys and gals taking time to help.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.