flatbed vs. dry van

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by FloridaDudester, Jun 18, 2019.

1. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    You won't be able to haul anything with any height to it in a Conestoga. No oversize really. And there are quite a few shippers out there that a Conny won't fit in the door. That said, there are a lot of guys out there that wouldn't trade their Conny for all the flats on the planet. If you want to be able to haul almost any type of open deck load, go with a step-deck, IMO. And turn down the tall tarp loads if heights bother you.

Oxbow, Dino soar and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    If u dont like to work i wouldnt reccommend flatbed . not even a roll tite. All of what ur saying sounds good on paper but everybody in here knows its tough out here and reality is a hell of a lot different than theory or what really happen on paper.. To each there own . if u got money burnin a hole in ur pocket do what u wanna do.. Have fun chipping ice out of that roll tite track

dunchues, SL3406, Tb0n3 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. FloridaDudester

FloridaDudester Light Load Member

May 13, 2019
    Doesn't a step deck limit the length of the load more than a standard flatbed? For instance, hauling 48' of lumber would be easy in a flatbed, but a step deck, with its drop (Im not sure what they call the low deck),
    would only allow whatever the length is of that level, correct? That plus something can be put on the upper deck? Am I wrong, here? So, the Conny is a mixed bag, it sounds like.

5. FloridaDudester

May 13, 2019
    I think I'll avoid getting out of the south in the winter o_O. I left the ice and snow back in 1988 for Florida and haven't seen it only a couple times since. God, I would hate to chip ice, lol.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    No u just have to get creative with dunnage so if u have something thats longer than the first 10ft of upper deck and the freight on lower deck is below the lip . then u have to build some dunnage so the freight can be leveled out..i feel like stepdeck is a love it or hate it thing. Some guys swear by it .. Me im not a fan. Seems like if i ever get loaded overweight on axles but under gross its always on stepdeck . give me a 48ft fontaine flat and im eastbound and down

FloridaDudester Thanks this.
  7. FloridaDudester

May 13, 2019
    "eastbound and down", I like the sound of that. That's what I was thinking for myself; either an Eagle or Ritenour, Fontaine or Utility, which is made in Florida I believe. I'm not going to be real selective, other than air ride. I would prefer aluminum deck. I know the old steel ones have got to be heavy. I'm not even sure about a roll tarp now. It sounds like it may limit loads, but I've got to determine how much of a limit it is and just what loads and what percentage of loads would preclude the use of a roller tarp.
    To me, the step decks with their low ride feature, look kind of beefy, but also look like more work to set up as a long level load bearing space for long timber, rebar and steel stock. If I found a deal for say 6k, which is just crazy, sure, I'd buy one. I think I'm looking at a 2004-2008 48', with one movable axle if I'm lucky, for about 10-14k. Depending on condition and if it includes all the gear needed to run.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  8. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I would say the roll tarp decision should be based upon what type of freight u would be running. I see owner ops all the time at the steel mills in the midwest. All they run is coils. Thats where roll tarp is sweet. Throw ur chains n go. Dont even have to get dirty. Now whether they are making any money off of it , well that is another conversation. But i would say if ur just running random freight or whatever u can find , thats where a roll tarp with be limiting. Or if u ever wanted to run like say an easy os/ow load like oversize tires well now u cant get that them cuz u have a curtain on ur trailer and ive heard those tires can be big money but dont quote me im just a company driver..i think it would be best to figure out what type of freight u would like to haul before u make a decision on the equipment... The type of freight ur hauling would be dependent on the region . for ecampe midwest would be steel west coast would be lumber. Etc etc.. Every region has its commoditites.. But like i say im just a company driver my advice may not be what other ppl think . just find out what u like and go with it

9. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    That's what they make load levelers for.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  10. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Used flat beds cost almost as much as new ones. Unless it's been beat to death.
    If you find a good deal on one inspect it very very thoroughly. Theee is a reason its cheap. Pay special attention to the king pin plate, where the susension is welded to the frame and use a laser sight to make sure the frame is straight.

What part of Florida are you in? I've got a barn full of extra chains and binders and tarps id let go pretty cheap. More than ill ever use in my life.

The step deck vs flatbed debate had gone on forever. If you are going to be running mainly load board freight a flat is probably better, or at least equal. 10 for spread axle 48 102. Install a dump valve on the rear axle and you are good to go. Carry 4 ft drop tarps and 8 ft. I hate my 8 fters, but they do make me a lot of money on occasion.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  11. FloridaDudester

May 13, 2019
    I'm in Hudson, Florida (Pasco County), just a few miles north of Tampa. I'm going to run load board freight for now. I plan on letting my warehouse and manufacturing customers know that I haul a flat bed. In fact, I'll tell them I'll haul whatever they want, except perishables. Progressive wanted to charge me pretty good for Food hauling. Unfortunately for me, we do send a lot of Melons and Veggies from Florida. Everything is subject to change in business.

Are you suggesting a new flatbed at say 32k (from what I've seen) is going to be a better investment than a used one? Can they be bought new, for less from what you know about them?

I just saw a load from Tampa area to Bethlehem, GA that pays really well, but is oversize:

78' long x 5' x 5'. only 40k lbs. Can you even get permits to haul that on a 48' skateboard?
    The thing is paying over $5.00 a mile. Dang thats a nice way to get out of Florida, profitably into the Alabama market right now.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.