Flatbed Wages

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Feanor, May 27, 2017.

1. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    He wants us to post our miles, rates, accessorial pay, etc etc etc. I don't see it happening in here, or any other section for that matter.

Airborne, peterbilt_2005, cke and 6 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Me either. What everyone has said is perfect your craft and you will get what you deserve. I agree.

Airborne, Ruthless, cnsper and 7 others Thank this.
  4. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Average starting wage in flat deck in Canada is usually around 36-38 cpm. Average ends up around $45K-50K for the first year. Most deck companies don't pay the big bucks to newbies, you have to prove yourself capable of driving the truck first, then you get the good stuff.

Airborne, cke, Feanor and 4 others Thank this.
  5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    What's the number one obstacle to a driver making it to the top of his field? @rank ?
    What's the number one way that the mega carriers promote stupidity among drivers?
    Why do the Dallas Cowboys under Jerry Jones suck so badly? @rank?

Airborne, cnsper, LoudOne and 5 others Thank this.
  6. Feanor

Feanor Bobtail Member

May 24, 2017
    I don't either, after seeing the response. Some people are fine with posting these kinds of things (see here).
    Some aren't.

I am currently a baker for a health-food company in North Idaho. I make $11/hr and work about 32 hours/wk, with less in the winter, and often 40+ in summer. My last years gross income was $19,600ish. Year before was $16,000ish. I don't mind anyone I work with knowing these figures, or anyone online, for that matter. That is just my personality though, I don't mind sharing and I don't identify strongly with my wage.

Some people consider these more private details, and that seems to be the prevailing attitude on this forum. Fair enough.

Airborne and fargonaz Thank this.
  7. oramac

oramac Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2012
    millennial....

8. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    These are private details, you have to understand a little about the group here. None of us run for a "mega" (one is leased to a big carrier but he is not their normal driver so to speak) we have all made our niche and really aren't interested in giving up to much. And honestly because of that if everyone of us posted our pay it would do you absolutely no good in any way. The megas all pretty well make they're pay pay public so it shouldn't be hard to find out about where they would be. As far as making it out here my advice is to get you're CDL on your own so you have no obligations then look around your area for a more local company. Look for someone filling a niche, once you're in you'll see others and you'll make acquaintances and build knowledge. If you're in or around a large metro you pass these trucks every day and never notice.

It depends on your goals but if you work for one of the big carriers that everyone pushes you toward the most you'll ever do is get by. Don't take the easy route.

Also that link you keep posting is crap money in my opinion from what I read of it. I would push the yellow button for that amount of money, it's not worth the stress.

9. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    This is the prevailing attitude in the trucking industry. Most recruiters won't give you detailed wage schedules over the phone or email. They'll give you a ballpark, and it'll be on the high side of an ideal world.

What most recruiters don't tell you is that their drivers don't always make maximum miles every week due to scheduling errors, weather/traffic/construction delays, personal limitations (illness) or a vast array of other reasons. They are selling you on their company and will promise you the Moon if it means signing up.

Go with a company that gives you the best training and most consistent miles. You won't make any money with a company that picks last minute loads off the load board after you are done unloading and call in to the office. Nor one that doesn't teach you everything you need to know to thrive in this industry.

I got into this just over two years ago out of commercial driving school, after a year and a half I started training and now I'm being moved into the office and being made a full-time trainer, tester and having direct input on hiring, safety and orientation. Anything can happen if you put in the hard work, dedication and show you are capable of doing everything asked of you without complaining.

10. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Very well said.

11. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    This more than anything will slow you down. All the construction, weather and hold ups at the shipper/reciever won't come close. I'll hold my tongue here.

Airborne Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.