Fleet air filters...anyone use them?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by paul 1052, Jun 15, 2011.

1. paul 1052

paul 1052 Heavy Load Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Sand Springs, Ok.

I can't say that I noticed any difference, I'll still save money over the lifetime so I'm ok with them

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckbiz

truckbiz Light Load Member

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
    JohnP3 Thanks this.
  4. JohnP3

JohnP3 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    I have been around long enough to have seen, engines damaged by the next greatest thing and the manufacturing company fail to come threw with anything when there product fails, yet they will still make all the same claims. These guys at least admit the full warranty coverage they will give you is the cost of the filter. I would keep the original sales slip as proof, and the original box because you have to ship it back to them.
    The only problem I ever remember in a air filter was the glue that they dribble on the outside to keep the paper pleats from vibrating was not secure, on a filter about 6 months old, it was either Fleet guard or Donaldson and it was an immediate replace it and they gave us a PO, no drama or waiting they did come by later and pick it up.
    An engine is made to have a certain back pleasure, in the exhaust, using that specification, the cam is ground to get, the maximum refreshing of air in the cylinder without cooling the exhaust, which is what drives the turbine. When you reduce the exhaust back pressure what happens is the charge air is allowed to go threw on valve overlap, cooling the exhaust and reducing the power to drive the turbine, which lowers the boost pressure.
    Air under pressure is like a liquid it actually buffers the exhaust valve when it is closing with lower pressure the exhaust valves and seats wear quicker.
    The fancy exhaust manifolds, no one has ever proven to me they do a thing, the turbo's in a modern engine are made to run on the pulse energy, not just the pressure.

5. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    This or similar to what our mechanic keeps saying.
    He does not explain but harps on about the need of correct back pressure.
    In our heavy haul applications (300 000lbs) we found the exhaust side overheating. By free flowing the intake (Bigger air filters and high flow mufflers) this helped that issue.

6. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I look at many individual perspectives on this. One I respect is Bruce Malinson at Pitts Power. True, he has things to sell, but he has been at the diesel improvement game longer than most. He has written several articles showing the improvements in freeing up the exhaust side on every thing from older mechanical diesels to the modern ones. There is no way to eliminate all restriction. And improving intake flow has shown that it reduces chances of turbo overspooling due to the compressor trying to grab air that just plain isn't being made available. And among one of the things the OEM's consider in engine building, is keeping the cost down. They have no interest in designing or demanding high flow intake/exhaust systems from the truck OEM's that cost more when they can get by with a cheaper setup that will basically get the job done. And it is rare to ever get an engine, gas or diesel in any application, that could not benefit from some tweaking, both internally and externally.

gator21, paul 1052, Joetro and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Welbee66

Welbee66 Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2013
    I have a small fleet and installed Fleet Air Filters on 5 trucks. 3 07 Columbias w/Detroits. 09 Prostar w/ISX. And a 2012 Volvo w/D13. Wanted to see how they performed in the motors I ran before installing them in all trucks. ALL of them showed much higher silicon levels. No measurable gain in fuel mileage. And they are a mess to clean. I had the shop I use clean them as it wasn't practical to be chasing trucks down when a filter cleaning was due. As a result there was no cost savings. I would definitely NOT recommend them.

Bean Jr. and barroll Thank this.
  8. chyury21

chyury21 Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2019
    Well,what would be a proper EGT for a Detroit 575hp ? At a full throttle 38-40boost mine will go up to 1050-1100 on pyrometer for a few seconds, then cool off to 600-750 running 70 -72 miph,is it normal,i have one under cab stock muffler and oem paper filter? My average mpg is around 5.5-6mpg with a midroof sleeper and a dry van.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.