Fleet owners, where do you find drivers?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by bigdad7, Oct 5, 2022.

1. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    You took me out of context he said local drivers make 80k not that I have seen
    But take 1800 a week by 50 hours and we not that far off ....right now I do have guys doing better that want to work more and those doing less are pushing that average down some .....
    But the numbers that matter are my guys w2 for the year a lot of people can say you could make up to 3000 a week but what are the end of year numbers and how many of those promises are turning into smoke 4 years ago when we started our top pay was 52 cpm right now the range is 65 ton70 cpm and our top earner is well over 100k our bottom is a little over 80k
    With benefits vacation time etc in addition and a 401k match

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I'm also in a low wage area, and in order to get the quality driver I want, I'm at 66 cpm, full benefits, and a big pile of accessory categories such as loading, unloading, additional drop and pickup fees. We also run under Ag exempt status a lot, and the drivers are typically home at least four nights a week. Average pay is well above 100K. I have a farm manager with a masters degree that makes half that. Farm labor at a quarter of that. But, everybody is happy with their part, so we just keep on rolling.

bzinger, Siinman, Ribeye and 3 others Thank this.
  4. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Do you offer a large year end performance/safety bonus?

I don't pay the best, but I treat my staff well, and they can, and usually do get a large bonus for being safe all year, and performing well.

5. bigdad7

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    We do a Christmas bonus and with my my otr guys we also.do.a.base garuntee as long as they are on time and don't refuse.loads.at.least 5 days a week

Siinman and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  6. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Good.

I found that knowing they can earn a large bonus is great motivation.

Siinman Thanks this.
  7. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I guess the Midwest is pretty vast when it comes to standard of living and competitive market places for drivers. I live in a high demand area for drivers, with a middle to low cost of living. So, guess it depends where you’re based. But, like Accidental Trucker said… to get the best and keep them, you have to really put your best foot forward

bzinger, Siinman and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  8. bigdad7

Jun 6, 2010
    ks

9. bigdad7

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    I agree and our turnover is usually non existent ....most of our drivers are referred by other drivers just a rough year losing three in short order ....
    And we are.pretty picky I look for guys that fit our culture .....just don't do a lot of hiring in general

bzinger, Siinman and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  10. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Most companies structure the bonuses so they never have to pay them . There’s always a reason you don’t get the bonus .

And it’s tough to find quality drivers .
    And unless you pay for them , you’re not going to find them.

i have a CDL , and currently get over $30 /hr for driving a pickup truck and home every night . hot shower and the beginning and end of my day , soak in my jacuzzi on the back porch , flop on the couch with the hound dog and watch a movie etc .

There is zero chance of me driving a big truck and all the hassle with the shippers and receivers and DOT etc and living in a sleeper in a parking lot , for less than $55 or 60 an hour,
    but that’s just me .

I’m not living in a truck and gone away from home for days and weeks so someone else who stays home every day can get rich off my labor.
    Not gonna happen .

the hassle to money ratio just isn’t good enough . truck driving paid more money in the 80s and 90s than it does now , and that’s without factoring inflation and housing costs tripling since the 90s
    I could easily make $6000 a month driving big trucks regional in the late 80s and mid 90s , it wasn’t even OTR loads.

you gotta work hard to make that now , and a house and car and groceries and health care are all triple priced now compared to then.

11. bigdad7

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    I agree with your opinion on bonus s
    But as far as working harder then I did in the 90s even .....I mean we didn't have apus our trucks well they weren't quite as comfortable and well lets just say my log books were running twice the miles with less sleep....
    I think we are structured to have a very fair salary with even a 2300 mile week which would have been like wed back then ....

A lot of that is just a matter of perspective and even 30 an hour is only 240 a day not bad but that's our lay over rate

Siinman Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.