flickering daytime running lights with parking brake on

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by skman, Aug 6, 2015.

1. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    Here is the service bulletin..

Attached Files:

• drl.pdf
      File size:
      384.3 KB
      Views:
    • drl2.pdf
      File size:
      291.8 KB
      Views:
    • drl3.pdf
      File size:
      279.7 KB
      Views:
    sunsation288 and skman Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    What is the reasoning for doing it these ways as compared to just pulling the breaker?

Mine is a 2013 and everything is fine with the breaker out.

4. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    Not real sure..Other then if you pull the fuse,I don't think the parking brake light on the dash works.IIRC
    And they did tell me that on my 2011 the DRL's are run thru the datastar,so this bypasses all that.Might have been something else,but this was done back in '11 and that was a long time ago...LOL

5. Star4900

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    OK, thanks. I don't see any negatives on mine. I tried everything with the breaker out and all seems to work.
    Guess I'll find out for sure this week when I go back to work, LOL.

I didn't notice if my parking brake light still works. I'll let you know later on tonight.

6. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Seeing as I live in Canada I cannot disable the DRL. I'm trying to find a way to increase the voltage sent to the headlights. When in DRL mode a lower voltage is used which is okay for standard headlights, but I have LEDs. The lower voltage causes them to flicker, so I have to just turn on my headlights all the time to get the LEDs to stay on steady.

7. Star4900

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    Well, I was wrong. I thought it was ok just pulling the breaker as the truck started,and all my lights worked outside, parking brake light still worked, heated mirrors, etc all still worked.

What I failed to notice is the gauges and Data Star do not work unless the headlights are turned on.
    Guess I'm going to get a new switch tomorrow unless I do what IH truck guy posted.

Good thing you made me triple check every possible scenario IH Truck Guy.

Cetane+ Thanks this.
  8. Star4900

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    001.JPG 004.JPG 004.JPG Well got the new pressure switch today. It's a Bendix.....product of Mexico. 30 PSI. Location, just to the left of the parking brake valves.

Unfortunately, not the problem with mine. Headlights still won't shut off. Parking brake on, key out, everything turned off.

Now, whether this is related or not.....the other day when I put my four way flashers on, only the right side was flashing. So I clicked them off and back on and it was fine. Was thinking maybe my turn signal switch is on it's way out.
    Now just as I was turning into my driveway, put my right signal on and the indicator came on solid.....nothing outside. Left is fine. Turn the headlight switch off and both signals work fine.

Looks like I have some electrical gremlins.

9. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    My right indicator was staying on solid for a few days when I had headlights/tail lights on. I tried a new turn signal switch first. Turned out to be some corrosion in behind the trailer 7 pin receptical. Cleaned it off, worked good after that,

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    That's always something quick to check. Unplug the trailer and see if it is the truck or trailer that's causing the problems.

11. Star4900

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    Haven't been pulling my pony, so that shouldn't be the problem with mine.

I've even seen bad, brand new LED light bulbs, so that's where we'll start I guess. Just unplug everything one at a time.

This truck has been a nightmare from day one.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.