Florida State College at Jacksonville (FSCJ) (My Journey)

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Lantern, Aug 7, 2011.

1. sway

sway Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2012
    Orange Park
    Good Ole truck 106....lol. I had Mr "J" too....honestly he was probably the best CDL trainer there is. I loved being at FSCJ and miss it. It was such a blast. Just graduated last week. I would HIGHLY recommend that school to anyone interested in getting into trucking.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lantern

Lantern Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Deliverin Soda
    I really enjoyed it. Great instructors that make it a fun learning experience. Congratz on passing man what companies you looking at?

4. Lantern

Mar 8, 2011
    Deliverin Soda
    Not meaning to double post didn't see your question before my other post. As for Roehl, yes they do test you but not right when you get there. They know you just came out of scholl and they have to retrain you to their ways. They will test you in orientation but they don't tell you when they do it. They just say "hey you passed". As for roughing it out for AC / Heat. My old 9400i had no APU or anything on it. Be darn sure I idled that thing for comfort. So no they don't expect you to tough it out. Only idle when needed. As for these new battery packs.. I know the international prostars automatically start up and idle until the batterys recharge. The cascadias do not. I havent had mine die on me yet and when they do I will be calling maintenance to learn how to override the idle reduction. As for them keeping you moving, majority of the time your running balls to the wall. But there will be weeks where you might have slow days of waiting. Take it as it comes!

Being that your new you might be nervous about idling. Don't be. Your comfort is important and they don't want you fatigued.

P.S: when I get home I'm going to go through all my post and correct my spelling grammar and what nots. Because I shook my head when I just reread some of my older post.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  5. sway

sway Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2012
    Orange Park
    Well I was looking into Roehl but I don't want to slip seats. It is either Arnold out of Jax or Schneider. Still debating....any advice on either of them?:biggrin_2556: I remember talking to you one day on the skills pad. Think you were wearing a Roehl shirt in fact lol

6. Lantern

Mar 8, 2011
    Deliverin Soda
    I'm assuming your wanting to do home time and not national fleet. I'm on the national 14/3 which makes it so I don't have to slip seat. All depends on your preferences I guess. Though Roehl is starting to upgrade their fleet so it may be a good time to join them if you do decide to go with them. I turned in my old 9400i and got a brand new 2013 cascadia with 74 miles on it.

Just know working for Roehl expect to be one of the slowest (other then TMC) trucks out there.

7. Lantern

Mar 8, 2011
    Deliverin Soda
    Switched over to flatbed. Had to give up my 2013 for a 07 Columbia (flatbed truck). Sucks but oh well. Aswell got some more information on how it's been going on my blog http://www.youngtruck.com (If you want... click the ads! It's puts money into my pocket! haha)

8. DocFrank

DocFrank Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2012
    San Antonio TX
    Liked your blog but it seems like some stuff (older posts) got dropped off? Anyway way to go and I hope to see you at Roehl.

Lantern Thanks this.
  9. Lantern

Mar 8, 2011
    Deliverin Soda
    I've been working on trying to figure out placements of things. I feel as though I am limited by the current blog software I'm using.

Appreciate the feedback though, you picked out the same opinion I've had when starting it.

10. AngelaW

AngelaW Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Northeast FL
    I know this thread is pretty dated but I just finished my first 2 weeks with (who I'm pretty sure is the same) instructor... Mr. J.
    It's great. I'm learning so much and it has been anything but boring.
    I'm the only female in the building and I've been treated better than I had even hoped by everyone.
    I definitely made the right choice by selecting this school. I'm 100% confident that I'll be ready for the road on 12/11!

11. Lyle

Lyle Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2012
    Florida
    Congratulations, on picking a good school to go to. I went there in 2012 in the first night class offered. When I signed on to my first company I noticed I was way ahead of everyone else. The training there is great. I bought me a truck 1.5 years ago and I'm running for UPS. One of the instructors from my class is also signed on to UPS it's funny how small the world gets. Any questions feel free to hit me up. How do you like those old internationals lol

AngelaW Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.