Flying J in Breezewood, PA is closed

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by bigkev1115, Dec 21, 2019.

1. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    And before all this, in the old days, it was the Union 76. The other big truckstop in Breezeewood, was Snyders Gateway,now the TA.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Historically Breezewood existed to serve the military movements of the day, the highway itself was built to expedite military movements west should we be invaded. It was I think back in the 1920 era when it was recognize that it will take months to convoy anything west.

Later they thrived on the traveler and trucker. I considered that town very important to my work because I did a awful lot of bedford, altoona, fishertown several winters. And for me they have been tops with old school phone in orders as needed coming and going.

I don't know what they will be years from now but someone needs to maintain facilities for truckers up there.

jeff614 and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  4. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Yeah,The Gateway restaurant closed now- (2 years now)...Now that Flying J is Closed (All American)

Cant even get a Homw cooked meal in Breezewood Anymore...Bob Evans If you wanna walk.

Pretty Sad- The locals were Pissed when they closed the gateway restaurant- It was actually pretty good.

Pretty sad what they are doing to us-

5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    So thats it then? Whats the alternative to Breezewood? Im thinking Hancock Maryland there might still be a little stop still there. Or Bructon Mills in WVa.

stayinback Thanks this.
  6. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    It's all about Arbys, McDonald's, Chester chicken, and Subway now days

If that was a independently owned J I'm surprised corporate wouldn't buy the building level it and build a new truckstop?

mjd4277, Trucker61016, bzinger and 2 others Thank this.
  7. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    No Thank You- Will Not do fast Food- But youre eight- The name of the game is Hurry up and go- Drive stressed and Rush Rush Rush.... Makes me Sick really

LoSt_AgAiN, x1Heavy and JonJon78 Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I refuse to do fast food unless I am badly positioned when moving into the night. If I ordered the old Montana meal from McDees the fuel is good for a hour and then what?

I much rather sit for a hour and have a staff cook a proper meal from salad to coffee all the way through. If they do a good job in particular there are days I dont require breakfast in the morning.

I have been spoiled by the old time fast trucks in philly, aka roach coachers who know how to do their cheese steaks. If you bought a handful, they wrap and toss some more, you might be away a while but you aint leaving hungry.

If you were that hungry, it's your fault really, may you be in heaven 30 minutes bfore that old devil knows you are dead. lolz. /sarc

stayinback Thanks this.
  9. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Care to expand on this with some sources?

As far as I'm aware Breezewood has no military connection and it really only exists because of the interchange.

Also, at no point until the 1950's was there any plan to do major troop movements by anything but rail. Truck trips for short distances or training movements, yes. Movement between bases was done by rail (or base to rail head to rail head to base).

10. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    "Sources".......HAHAHA!

Good luck with that.......

11. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I know, and I mostly ignore his Grandpa Simpson ramblings, but sometimes it's hard to not call him out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.