FMCSA--Speed limiters are coming

Discussion in 'Other News' started by kemosabi49, Apr 28, 2022.

1. olddog_newtricks

olddog_newtricks Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Every road in every state already has a speed limiter. It's called a speed limit sign. And that's really all that's needed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I have mixed feelings on this subject.
    We have a group of responsible owner ops with fast trucks that know when and when not to use that speed and know what a safe following distance is , I have my truck governed at 80 but you will seldom see me running over 62 to 65 unless I'm passing somebody .
    Then we have the newer owner ops that haven't been in the United States very long that are flat on the floor , think 10 feet is a safe following distance and don't have sence enough to slow down in bad weather.
    Next comes the eastern euro crowd ...need I say more ?
    For the most part the LTL line haul guys and ups people seem pretty adept at staying out of crashes , not including fed ex ground of course .
    Then we have the poorly trained drivers for the mega otr fleets flat on the floor that would probably pee theyre pants if they dared slow down or not max out the log every day cause some DM might write em up.
    Livestock, haz mat and fuel haulers arnt an issue in the grand scheme of things .
    I would say of the ungoverned trucks the reason fmsa it proposing this the prize goes to .
    1 .Amazon ....flat slap scarey they are !
    2 .all the instant owner ops that have come along recently. ...like yopo and super ego .
    3. The mega otr carriers with theyre poorly trained drivers .
    As for the top 2 maybe fmcsa should make operating authority harder to obtain and harder to keep , and maybe start enforcing the rules of the road.

4. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Kemosabi just threw out a post with a link to make comments to the fmcsa .
    You don't have to be an ooida member and takes just a few minutes.

5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Submitted, # 129 of 129 comments. First time I’ve ever submitted a comment. Easy, thanks for the Link.

6. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I don’t know if it’s asked but how does this affect owner operators? Are we excluded?

7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I don’t think so. Wording says all Trucks must have an ecm/ecu or Whatever-a computer. Does this mean all mechanical Trucks will be outlawed. I think the wording itself needs changing, to all Trucks equipped with an ecm/ecu that can be programmed.

8. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    you never know. Once speed limiter in place older trucks will be ticketed at higher rate causing operations costs to skyrocket. Maybe it’s one way of pushing out older trucks.

either way it’s going to cause issues for non ecm guys since they still have to follow the posted speed limit.

Wonder what the cattle haulers going to do?

9. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    When this happens I’m gonna like the looks I get when my oldschool faded 53 year old 350hp truck slides on by a 600hp shiny new largecar on a highway with 70-75 mph speed limit.

10. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    In the end its all about public safety, its never a good look when one observes multiple trucks in a huge pile up on the freeway, on the nightly news, this could all be avoided by drivers being more alert to the driving conditions. So if they can't teach drivers how to be defensive the only other way is to restrict the maximum speed you can drive at.

11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    No. They need to stop giving a cdl to anyone that walks in the door.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.