fmcsa wants to know your opinion

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Just passing by, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    No, my reply was to the person I quoted who was talking about how they shoved the 30 min break down our throat.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lastgoodusername

lastgoodusername Medium Load Member

Dec 18, 2008
    central NC
    100% percent with you on the 30 minute break deal. I was talking about when the 14 hour rule was first established. A bit of sarcasm thrown in as well about how the 14 hour rule was going to fix everything from flat tires to bad cheeseburgers. Now that the these two things are sizing up to mix like oil and water, WE MUST CHANGE NOW, is the new slogan. Honestly , I no longer have a clue how to really fix it. Big companies only want the small ducks like me gone, No one will listen to any common sense or anyone with experience. Big money is winning today in such a way as I would never dreamed to see in my lifetime. I really believe that the only thing that will bring common sense change to our industry is Granny can't get her milk and eggs. Exemptions for every cold or hot or rainy or dry or whatever is stupid. When hurricane victims find their supplies stuck 2 hours down the road, then #### will hit the fan and change may come. Just don't know if we can stand the monetary hit for that long or if those folks should go without water.

Long FLD Thanks this.
  4. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    They took away the flexibility to goad drivers into a regular work schedule, despite the fact that some of us don't have that luxury or even want it. Wife works nights and if she's not working, she's catching up on the sleep she misses working nights. Hauling food is not a regularly scheduled job for some of us, might be production delays, or we might have to run all night to bring in the live ones, then the next day, a different schedule for a different species of live ones.

8 in the sleeper doesn't get me rested during the day, and why do I need that to drive back 1 to 4hours, arrive at 2 am and then sleep in the truck because I'm too beat to drive home. I don't live on the road, I'm just there sometimes. Also have to work around traffic patterns and shipping or receiving hours, and that call to haul something because someone's reliable large car ain't gonna go today. Or someone decided to not show up or Bambi succeeded at suicide and took out a radiator in the process. Mayhem and unpredictability is situation normal for some of us.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  5. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    In my opinion, the FMCSA can suck it

6. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Or eliminate the 30 min break, get done with work 30 mins faster and catch up on FB and TTR then.

bottomdumpin Thanks this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    ...While home enjoying a cold beer. :)

bottomdumpin, 25(2)+2 and fargonaz Thank this.
  8. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Sometimes it takes longer to find a place to park than the actual 30.

9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I have no problem w 30 min break. I give myself a break about every 4 hrs or less.Got into the habit after back surgery 20 yrs ago. I need to get out and walk a bit. Not to mention the real risk of blood clots in legs. I still get everywhere just fine. The idea of the 14 hour rule is the reason no one wants to take a break at all and risk losing Driving time. It’s no good I believe they are considering extending it to 16 or 17 hrs Probably get 15 if anything along with 3 or 4 confusing guidelines to figure out along with it. All Drivers should comment we are the ones affected. The ability to stop clock and take a 3 or 4 hr nap without losing Driving time is needed. The way it is now is dangerous.In a hurry stressed out and pushing through a sleepy spell .Normal blood sugar levels drop sometime between lunch and dinner. Even years ago people understood this and it was common practice for some people to take an afternoon nap . Scientific studies prove it. Speaking of which all the studies done prior to the change missed this big point.The real problem now is lack of compensation.I think any change will only be made in order to continue working us for free. If a OTR Driver fresh out of school was paid minimum wage .Working 5.5 days at 7.75 an hour. Paid for all time while in command of Truck he would earn $1032 a week or $ 52k yr w overtime after 40 just as an example. I think the job should pay at least $70 k a year. And even though every Driver I’ve ever met seems like makes more than I do . But Official figures show otherwise last I checked $38 k. Probably arohnd $45 k these days

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.