Food Service, the kryptonite of truck drivers, and for some reason I'm interested in it

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by nextgentrucker, Nov 26, 2023.

1. nextgentrucker

nextgentrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 25, 2023
    Port Saint Lucie, Fl
    Ok, so as the title say, I have no idea why but I'm a little bit interested in Food Service, I think it's the money, most of you already know that I want to go OTR, I still do but $2k a week is $2k a week LOL!! I was planning on doing it for about a year then I will already have some experience that good-paying OTR companies will look for and I can get on with them. So for those of you who have done it, how is it? Is it as hard as people make it out to be? Is it hard but gets easier with time? Do you not really make the money advertised but these companies? Is the money there but you would rather work for SWIFT or freaking TransAm because it's back-breaking work? Is there some techniques out there that could make your job easier and final question can a twig like me do it with the proper technique and dedication? Also, if you guys can, list out some Food Service companies that are taking in new CDL grads down South Florida ( Port Saint Lucie ), Thanks!!!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2023
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I don't think you're in the hiring area for the high paying foodservice companies.
    Those companies are in Miami area and one in Port Canaveral.
    @Dennixx addressed the location problem in Post #3

Last edited: Nov 26, 2023
  4. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I did it when I started out for a short period of time. But it was long long ago and everything has changed from the trucks to the delivery equipment to the way that the product is shipped.
    Just another sector of trucking that's more physical than otr.
    Perfectly fine for a fit individual with situational and spacial awareness.
    Good money nowadays and that type experience will help in any driving endeavors you move on to.
    Only problem you have is location.
    More experienced drivers than jobs but if you are persistent you should be able to find someone to give you a break.

Eddiec, Crude Truckin', Coffey and 4 others Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Recently, another driver in your situation, living below Interstate-4, solved the problem by doing a legal address change to Bushnell, Florida. You won't have to physically move to do this. Several other drivers on this forum have done the same.
    ~
    Sumter Oaks RV Park
    sumteroaks.escapeesrvparks.com
    4602 Cr 673, Bushnell, FL 33513

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    As shown, Bushnell is just above Interstate-4
    [​IMG]

7. mpow66m

mpow66m Heavy Load Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Northeast
    I loved and still do BUT..................while work is very physical,which I dont mind I cant deal w/ BS of how horrible the trucks were loaded.Be aware your gonna have to dig for product.Theres a right way and a wrong way.Be prepared for trailers that looked like they were loaded by monkeys on an acid trip,and theyre late alot of times to.Money was great,benefits ,time off and retirement.But ohhhhhhhh those trailers.lol.If you get hurt dont expect any sympathy,You are expendable.

US Foods
    Gordon Food Service
    McClane Foods
    Sysco

8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    sounds much like here with CVS....they had at one time, thier own drivers, and always an ad for more....then if i recall, Ryder took over, and the ball dropped even more with the daily BS...if i recall, a few other companies "got in" on the CVS contract, and same ole, same ole BS, of help wanted ads.

the "old" CVS drivers stayed until they retired (i was told by a former CVS driver) who himself retired, cuz the outside vendors were stupid crazier than CVS.

no thank you very much, i stayed away from food companies, and CVS, and any other company that had, Ryder, RUAN, LILY, Cardinal, and XPO as thier contractors.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    H.T. Hackney in Miami and several other states & cities:
    [​IMG]

10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    if a person can obtain a food delivery job say for, Publix, Hannaford, Stop & Shop, Giant, and any other large supermarket chain, they have their own drivers.

at least, most of those i named do.....(some may not)

@mjd4277 lives up here, he's surely seen Hannaford trucks up here.

11. mpow66m

mpow66m Heavy Load Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Northeast
    It does get easier with time and bids.Bids that took 15,20 yrs to get can be had in less than 10 sometimes do to the high turnover.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.