Foodservice vs. Beer

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by kspelman1023, Mar 31, 2020.

1. kspelman1023

kspelman1023 Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2020
    Hey guys, new to this sight. I’ve been driving for a year now. My first job right out of school was for Performance Food Group working out of a shuttle yard. Did that for about 9 months. I ended up switching to beer, to a distributor very close to me. It’s union, has a pension and great benefits. It’s all hourly with OT after 8 hours. Guy I worked with told me to switch just for the fact it is easier and has a pension. I took a pay cut switching though now that I see it. My base salary at PFG was $88k. That’s starting. With the beer job, its all based on how many hours you work. Starts at $21, and goes to $26 an hour. I have to say, beer isn’t bad. Your not digging through pallets trying to find stuff like in food service. But honestly, I didn’t mind it that bad. There were days doing food where you were like WTF this is crazy; with your trailer just a complete mess. With beer though as opposed to food; you have to rotate stock in stores and sometimes build up backrooms. Which can be just as annoying as digging through pallets in a food trailer. I just want some help from you guys because I’m honestly thinking about going back to PFG. The money was great for a kid my age (22). Its not that I hate the beer job, I’m just trying to figure out what’s best for my future. Pretty much the same physically. So my question is, should I go back to food service as opposed to delivering beer? Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dumdriver

Dumdriver Road Train Member

Jul 8, 2014
    East Coast
    What’s the retirement and benefits like at PFG? If it’s comparable go for the money

4. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
  5. kspelman1023

Mar 31, 2020
    PFG had a pretty good 401k. The benefits were good also. They were a little pricey, but the pay made up for it. Everyone in our yard was clearing 95k easy. One guy made 118k doing extra. They paid pretty decent to go and help another driver out. Made it very easy to make $150-400 extra a week on top of your base pay. $330 minimum a day in our yard there. The routes snd loads were crazy at times, but the pay made up for it. Always thought about trying soda too. Coke is 5 minutes from me.

6. kspelman1023

Mar 31, 2020
    I’m also thinking in terms of longevity too. Where can I stay 20-30 years.

7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Stay where you're at until this virus thing passes anyway. Food service has been hit pretty hard from what I hear.

WesternPlains, Dennixx and magoo68 Thank this.
  8. jdimes

jdimes Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2011
    somewhere, usa
    Yeah with restaurants only doing take out food service can be a little ruff, worked in the food service industry for years foot traffic is the money maker it’s based on a customer count per man hours more people more money more orders add the drinks, throw in a tip $$$$$

9. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I resemble that remark. I got laid off from the largest Food Service company, well, on the planet this past Friday. I mean its ugly when you look at how much business has dropped off and drivers have been slashed in the past two weeks. Tractors stacked up in the yard, warehouse aisles deserted. We're talking end of days type scenery.

Food service is the last place I would be looking to go to right now. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I am sure I don't want to go back when things pick back up again. The volatility it has experienced recently convinced me it isn't a safe bet long term. I mean, people will always need to eat, but they won't always need to eat at restaurants and country clubs.

Western flyer and Dennixx Thank this.
  10. kspelman1023

Mar 31, 2020
    I’m not looking to go back to food service right now. Just when maybe this all blows over soon. The industry has been hit hard though. Where I worked at PFG, my dad worked there too as a driver, and still does. Thankfully, they’re still working 4 days a week. They’ve somehow managed to stay steady. That could all change next week. The company has told them that they have alternative work to go drive for other companies if necessary. But yes, this industry took a huge blow. Even beer has. I’m just doing liquor stores as of now. Which doesn’t leave much work. Just a very tough time. Freight guys and grocery chains are going like crazy now though around me.

11. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Grocery is going crazy everywhere. If there is any sector that is pandemic, or recession proof it must be that. Everybody needs to eat...and wipe their butts.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.