For everyone looking for a company to work for, read this......

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by HoustonTrucker, Apr 22, 2018.

1. HoustonTrucker

HoustonTrucker Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    1 million Americans are counting on Congress to save their pensions

I'm not trying to start a big war on here, but this should be a legitimate concern for everyone out there. We all would like to have a decent retirement. I'd hate to spend 30-40 years working somewhere only to find out my pension is no longer available.

401k seems to be cast in a negative light in comparison to pensions around here.. At least with a 401k I have more control over my own retirment. Yes the market goes up and down, but over a longer timeline it always goes up, as history has shown.

Pensions have many issues. Funding cuts, poor managment, more money going out than coming in.

If I were looking at a company that only offered a pension, I'd think twice before signing up.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    Heck look at what happened to the fire fighters in Dallas their pension is a stake. Poor management and the city cannot longer promise them a secure pension. While the folks making decisions have a secure future.

joshuapowell61 Thanks this.
  4. Txdriver77

Txdriver77 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Texas
    down here in San Antonio the fire fighters are trying to renegotiate their contracts for a pay increase. meanwhile the city manager is making almost a million a year. there was a petition to have her salary reduced so the money could be used elsewhere. something like 250,000 signatures were collected and verified.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  5. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I wonder how those YRC pensions are looking

6. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Western States Fund is working just fine.

De Trucker Thanks this.
  7. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    ???

8. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    From what I understand, it's the Central States Pension fund that's in trouble. A few years ago I read on a union grocery warehouse bulletin board a memo from them that said they are paying out around $3.80 for every dollar they were taking in. A lot of people are going to get screwed over that.

9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    Anyone who believes their pension is going to be there (private or government) is DREAMING

The math doesn't work.

Make your own way.

10. De Trucker

De Trucker Medium Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Not all pension funds are in trouble.
    Central states on other hand is in trouble. More and more companies are pulling out it.
    Central states is not the only teamsters pension fund which a lot of people on here seem to think.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2018
    speedyk and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  11. HoustonTrucker

HoustonTrucker Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Just for me, in my own opinion for my life, I dont think its at all wise to cede all control of your retirement into someone elses hands. With a 401k or IRA, you have much more control. You decide what fund or funds your money goes into. The more you put in, generally speaking, the more you'll get back. You dont have to worry about someone else funding it for you, or not funding it and having it dry up before you ever make it to retirement. Nothing is full proof in life, every retirement plan has a degree of risk attached to it, in my opinion, pensions, especially these days, are the riskiest of them all.

speedyk and De Trucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.