For everyone that’s against putting a twist in your straps...

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by kylefitzy, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    I twist them occasionally. Depends on the load. I’ve never even thought about it. I “assumed” a twist was ok. Seems natural imo

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Even with a knot, the strap breaks above the WLL.
    Nice to see a real test.

misterG, FerrissWheel, cke and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    WLL is significantly below failure point. WLL takes into account that there will be transient loads that peak above WLL, and as such WLL is set at a point so those transient loads do not exceed the point at which damage occurs.

Tb0n3, basedinMN_, Bean Jr. and 9 others Thank this.
  5. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    After having the chance to sit and watch this, a couple thoughts come to mind.

The first is that every strap breaking at the same place near the spindle indicates something in that region initiating the failure. The first test is the only one with a good slomo close up, and it looks like the strap is pulled slightly into winch frame right where the failure starts. It's also possible he was getting below minimum radius and weakening the strap that way.

Also, the places on the strap where the twist collapsed? The fact they were warm indicates overloading, and likely long-term damage to the strap fibers. That's where the danger lies with twisted straps, is if they collapse. It concentrates the load onto a small portion of the webbing. Unfortunately the fact they were failing right at the ratchet didn't let us see that.

Lastly, he should have slowed the rate of tension rise. While some of the heat was surely failure related, much of it, especially at the ratchet, was generated by slippage. Slowing things down would allow that heat to dissipate without welding the strap to itself. Although one could definitely make the argument that during an accident, the rapid application of shock loads would have much the same effect.

But still a very interesting video, and and worth the watch.

Edit: As a car hauler, I see guys who don't untwist straps. Their straps quickly deteriorate to looking like a bundle of used twine.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    Tb0n3, Bean Jr., misterG and 5 others Thank this.
  6. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Definitely proved that a hard twist is not good. I’m sure if he made more 90 degree edges we might see some different results.

Flipping a hook around to put a slight twist on a strap like most open deck folks might do should be perfectly fine or we would see broken straps everywhere.

7. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I seen multiple strap failures in a real world situation. All but one of the 7 straps failed at the hook end. The strap failed on the part that goes through the hook. The other one I can only draw a conclusion ripped where the edge protection was? All straps were well used but not really damaged but probably all over 3 years old?

I use chains on those loads now.

Nostalgic, staceydude, cke and 3 others Thank this.
  8. NordicNomadic

NordicNomadic Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Cumming, GA
    I throw a twist on lighter products like insulation, etc. to keep the strap from slapping and ultimately damaging the freight. But because these loads are already light I'm not worrying about strength issues. Heavier freight I'm cranking that strap down deep and usually not concerned with vibration. Also, 1. agree with @Jen72 that a twisted strap is a good way to tell if the strap is loose 2. disagree 5 straps are enough on 48k (if you're using 4" 5400lb rated straps, you'll want 8).

cke Thanks this.
  9. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    You only have to strap for half the weight of the load.

48k/2=24k. So five straps.

10. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    I just put 12 2” straps on 20` of lumber. 24k. I was in a strange mood :eek:

beastr123, Kyle G. and cke Thank this.
  11. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    As the other poster said the regs say indirect securement changes the load securement by half.

Linte_Loco and cke Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.