For newbies - Confessions of a veteran driver

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Fretless, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    And Drivers (me) who have been out here almost 7 years.:biggrin_255:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. o.m.d.

o.m.d. Heavy Load Member

Aug 15, 2010
    massachusetts
    finally a positive post. so sick of reading "this industry sucks you get screwed" yeah boohoo guess what we're blue collar working class people and chances are we're always gonna be working hard as hell and getting screwed its who we are get used to it. and if you hate your job or your boss then change jobs. if you cant find another job then you should appreciate the only guy that will give you a job a little more even if he is a total prick. you aren't owed anything other then a paycheck. the last boss i had would cuss me and the lumper on the truck out daily. for very minimal things, even things that werent my fault. we were delivering appliances, one day i watched this idiot lumper in a fit of rage throw a dryer and it dented a refrigerator next to it. totally destroyed both appliances. 5 minutes later (this was a residential stop), i come back out to the truck to see he somehow dropped the dryer coming inside off the back of the truck. and yet i was being cussed out with him from my boss?? whatever, i put up with it for 7 months, showed up to work, did my best, and kept my mouth shut because there werent any other jobs out there so i was just happy to at least not be sitting on my ### at home.

anyway sorry for hijacking the thread just glad to see some other positive people on here.

Lady K Thanks this.
  4. idfive

idfive Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Boise, Idaho
    Thank you for your post, nice to read a positive story. I am getting ready to go to a professional truck driving school at CWI in Nampa Idaho. Hope to start a great career with a good company and make some money. This is my second career. I just retired from the Air Force, 21 years active duty. I'm ready to drive the country and learn as much as I can from all the other truckers out there.
    Be safe and Happy New Years to all. Hope to see some of you out there on the road in a few months when I'm finished with school.

5. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Good post man! Great tip for the newbies about remembering to park so that your head is going uphill when you sleep. That gave my wife a chuckle! I used to fuss at her about that.

6. DOITHARD

DOITHARD Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2010
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Again thanks for the advice...I also agree with the prior statement. If you dont like what your doing get out or shut the F...U...why make someone else day miserable just because you might be one. In my life experiences, positive thinking and family unity has been the key to solution solving and getting ahead. Its all part of the learning process. Excuse my venting.

7. ramkatral

ramkatral Heavy Load Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Great post. It's good for people thinking about this industry to see some of us are very happy. I see negativity all the time here. I love this job. I don't want to do anything else. I'm only 25 so I've got a long time left in trucking. I encourage other positive thinking young adults to give it a try as well. If you do your job right, get on with a decent company, and be respectful and kind... you will be rewarded. It's not totally doom and gloom.

8. fulgrwnmn

fulgrwnmn Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2008
    whitehouse,oh
    see.............there are Truckers that are articulate!!! Good Post Bro!

9. TruckerLady10

TruckerLady10 Bobtail Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    nice post thanks 4 the info

10. kingsson

kingsson Heavy Load Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Yes, there ARE truckers who are articulate! More and more we are seeing people with college degrees (yours truly), and people looking for second or third careers (shout out to my fellow AF veteran above!) who just get fed up with the cubicle world and hit the road. College degrees are not what make a person articulate, of course... in fact, sometimes just the opposite nowadays when college is nothing more than liberal indoctrination. The stereotype of the uneducated, unwashed, uncouth trucker is disgusting. Most of us out here are professionals who just love what we do... MOST days! :biggrin_25525:
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks, Feckless! :biggrin_25514:

11. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    REALLY????:biggrin_2556: :biggrin_25518:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.