For those of you wanting to become a truck driver ...

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Condi, Apr 24, 2021.

1. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Some of the people I worked my career job with, before the Trudeau crash of 2015+. Got into Costco before the unemployment surge happened, they were only going to use it as a bridge job, until they could find another Corporate job in Oil and Gas or something similar. All of them are still there in 2021, and say they would literally fight to the death to keep that job.

I know the drivers who work for the Costco fleet in the US, say the same thing. So I eagerly await Costco Fleet to move into Canada, and Kick Bison/TransX and XLT out of their DC's

As far as the essential boost, what a #### show, the conditions were insane for truck drivers, and no one I know got it. Even in reefer/food grade/food service.

Canadianhauler21 and skipgears Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    I don't know why anyone would work for that wage anyways. Shows how desperate some people can be. I do regional and take home about $1500 per week after taxes. $15 at 40 hours is $600 before taxes. Not sure I would be willing to work for that.

I have worked fast food before when I was a teenager and you had to look up to your team lead > supervisor > franchise owner. Trucking I only look up to my boss who also does dispatch.

There are decent trucking Jobs out there once you get some experience. Molson (in Ontario) pays $33 per hour for local work. Praxair pays around $27 an hour for local. Some dump jobs are in the 30s. There are opportunities out there, you just gotta find them.

4. skipgears

skipgears Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2020
    BC
    Right. I used to haul tanker, diesel and chemicals, b-train, for $33/hr. Stressful, but decent income.

We're talkin' mostly entry level dry-van jobs here, remunerated at cents per mile. Resulting income comparable to minimum wage jobs, and that's the segment of trucking that needs an urgent update.

not4hire and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  5. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    I still think Can haulers are the worst, paid by the move, I knew a couple guys who tried some local CP contractors. Worked out to $8/hr when it was all said and done, 6 days a week, 12-14 hours a day.

Westcan and Seaboard have gone to a similar system now, paid by the move, works out to $12/hr I'm told.

Van and Reefer can either be very good or very bad, there is no middle ground. @Canadianhauler21 found a pretty sweet gig, as some other guys I know (XTL, Coop, Safeway/Sobeys) but like you said, the majority of the Van/Reefer industry is by the mile rolling sweatshop slavery.

If anyone tries to take this LCV job away from me, I ####ing swear to god, I will stack bodies!

6. skipgears

Aug 8, 2020
    BC
    Container work out of Vancouver ports is now starting $26+ per hour. But yah, I remember doing cans by the move too, no more of that. I did pretty much everything, except logging and oil/gas up in the buttfack AB or SK. I've trained drivers, and still hold a clean abstract after all them years. All that work and experience up for a gig at Costco! :p

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  7. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Personal vehicles are generally based on who is willing to sign for 84 easy payments. There’s a number of us where I work all driving what are considered vintage automobiles,,,first by choice, second, we know how to spin wrenches...sort of a hobby

8. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Had a few muscle cars & old p/u's. Dad was a mechanic so grew up around busting knuckles.
    I never bought anything on payments except a ranch.

Canadianhauler21 and BigHossVolvo Thank this.
  9. skipgears

Aug 8, 2020
    BC
    Oh yah but those were the good ole days, now we finance toasters and TVs over 84 easy payments, OAC at 28% APR .. amirite, yah .. quality capitalism

10. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    If someone takes that lcv job from you I will help you stack the bodies.

Trucking is what you make of it. Although I feel bad for the people trucking on the west side of Canada. You guys have little to no options. Ontario still has hidden gem opportunities here and there.

not4hire and BigHossVolvo Thank this.
  11. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Still good options in the west....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.