For Those Who Went From Paper Logs to Electronic

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Raiderfanatic, Jul 7, 2012.

1. SmoothShifter

SmoothShifter Defender of the Driveline

Sep 10, 2010
    Feura Bush, NY
    And Moses came down from the mountain with two tablets of stone from the FMCSA with 10 rules inscribed.

1. Thou shalt not use paper logs and have no other gods before the electronic god.
    2. Thou shalt not make any fudge when thee should be drawing on line 3.
    3. Thou shalt not take thy name of the DOT in vain.
    4. Remember thy 34 hour reset and keep it holy.
    5. Honor thy scale-master and DOT inspector.
    6. Thou shalt not drive 1700 miles non-stop.
    7. Thou shalt not blaspheme thy little green book.
    8. Thou shalt not steal hours by personal conveyance.
    9. Thou shalt not bear false witness to thy hours of service.
    10. Thou shalt not covet a bull-haulers son's classic paid for Peterbilt with a mechanical engine.

As a side note, the "Beast" has better things to do than go after a bunch of steering wheel holders.

He's gunning for the big dogs, not some peon truck drivers.

Just sayin'.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    no one will be able to buy, nor sell, nor eat without the mark of the beast

including steering wheel holders

the greatest trick the devil pulled was convincing man that he does not exist

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  4. k7tkr

k7tkr Medium Load Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Used a three ring binder for years. Yep, those days ain't coming back.

Mark

5. SmoothShifter

Sep 10, 2010
    Feura Bush, NY
    I had a little fun with the post you put up for a reason. However, there are other places to discuss the Illuminati, the skewed system that we live in, secret societies, 9/11 being an inside job, and whether or not I shop at Wal-Mart which proves to me the devil exists, because he owns it. And you probably shop there.

I will promptly exit this thread if it turns into a soapbox sermon. I see it going there.

Hopefully, we go back on topic.

6. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    i wasnt interested in a sermon, more like applying those prophetic words to our everyday lives

electronic logs and other means of monitoring and controlling are upon us, how we deal with it is our choice.

7. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Don't forget Moses had to go up the mountain because of the rebellion of the people

8. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    I went from E-Logs to Paper Logs, I prefer the loose leaf.

9. SmoothShifter

Sep 10, 2010
    Feura Bush, NY
    Those means came about because of a basic human flaw - greed.

You see, earlier in this thread, someone alluded to running 1700 miles non-stop. Let's say he averaged 70mph in the ungoverned truck - that would be 24 hours of brute drive time. Let's use .40cpm "driver pay" for a guideline. We're assuming of course that the super-trucker doesn't have to eat, pee's on the fly and the corresponding super truck has twin 200 gallon fuel tanks so he doesn't have to stop for fuel.

That would put $680 in your hip pocket while breaking HOS and speed limits.

With eLogs and other tattle boxes like EOBR's, you could at best average 50mph while maintaining legal speed limits. I'm not even counting legal pre and post trip times, mandated breaks, etc.. but for giggles, lets say you drive 11, take 10 off and drive the other 3 on your next leg ( same 24 hour period ). You will cover 700 miles and put $280 in your pocket.

You can take all the hogwash about correctly managing your time and finding safe havens and all the blather about why guys justify running on paper and fixing/fudging/tearing out loose leaf paper and burning them and it all boils down to this one simple concept.

If you break the law, you can make more money. And money makes the world go round.

I've done it, and I regret to admit it. I've almost fallen asleep at the wheel myself. Anybody reading this thread that has been driving for a long time has been there/done that. I've been lucky. Sometimes, I chose to take that extra run, other times had my arm twisted.

Now that I run legal, I feel a whole lot better about myself. And I "choose" to walk the walk, because I choose where I work. I have a few o/o friends that would put me in a shiny Petercar in a heartbeat.

And that's exactly why the FMCSA has instituted the mandates they did. We created this mess by people dying when drivers took a nap - while in the big hole.

We will choose to deal with it based on personal preference. But it will still be breaking the law, because the laws will keep coming.

k7tkr Thanks this.
  10. anotherjoe

anotherjoe Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Im on elogs as a lease operator. It is nothing more than micro managing the driver to the n th degree. to maximize profits and communication for the company. It can work to your benefit if the company has your best interest at heart. (good luck with that). Many times i have passed thru the house and blew the horn at the kids because my appt was set to deliver with exactly enough time to deliver . Its a computer program thats installed in your company system the computer model tells them what time your appt needs to be based on the hrs you have available. The computer doesnt figure in you stopping at the house for three hrs so if you do your now late so blow the horn and keep moving or your fired period.

Another example : I have run non stop for 10hrs just so when i get to the reciever i can squeeze in a 34 before delivery time. Do you really want to spend a 34 in the parking lot. Or maybe the reciever doesnt have overnight parking now what . You sleep at the tstop get up in the morning clocks running better hope your not in a door for 4 hrs (wal mart or any refrig load) your screwed. REMEMBER YOU CONTROL WHEN YOU START THE CLOCK BUT ONCE YOU DO IT CONTROLS YOU .

11. SmoothShifter

Sep 10, 2010
    Feura Bush, NY
    I really wouldn't want to blame eLogs as the culprit here, I would look more towards the inflexible policies of the company you are running for.

I wouldn't say my company has "my best interests at heart", but they do work with us to give us time off, swing by the house - live life. If I need a day off, I take a day off. I'm sure it's a different dynamic with my operation, we have 20 - 34 loads a day basing out of our Albany terminal. They just asked me to go down and pinch hit in Winchester, Va for a couple of days, so I will get down there, take 10 off and then run a trip. I have to be back by Friday. I'll be here.

What's wrong with saying, "I want to stop at the house, see my wife and kids, do my laundry, etc. Can you throw a 4 hour buffer in there?"

eLogs is an effective tool with the right management behind it. Instead of breaking your time into "15 minute increments" it manages by the minute. Running legal is the only option and we aren't beat to death to run from origin to destination with no regard for being human.

Computers only do what the people running them tell them to. If they are wrapping you so tight, you can't take the time to stop and take a dump, you need to look for a better gig.

Dinomite Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.