For Those Who Went From Paper Logs to Electronic

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Raiderfanatic, Jul 7, 2012.

1. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL

There has been one occasion that my husband used the split sleeper, I try dragging out all the rules and regulations, he had their log dept figure it out to make sure it was legal. I didn't know the e-log would do that automatically. This info might come in handy for the future just in case another load has to be delivered this way. Running with students right now he doesn't have to worry about it too much.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KE5WDP

KE5WDP Road Train Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Caddo Lake, Texas
    The people who don't like Elogs should really have a problem the the regulations. Elogs just help enforce what we already should have been doing.

4. apickupman

apickupman Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2012
    I've been driving for 9 yrs, and like every other driver with any experience, I swore I would NEVER use elog... until last yr. I drove for Design Transport last yr that had all there trucks on elog. I cried and moaned like any good driver is always apt to do when anything changes, but I soon realized I was getting more miles with far less stress and hassle of counting those **** lil 15 min notches! Elog optimizes your miles by giving dispatch accurate info of what you got left to run daily and weekly allowing dispatch to preplan you, so no more 1k mile runs when you only got a few hrs left for the week. With CSA most companies audit logs and qualcomm anyway to make sure you're legal. Elog makes legal hela lot easier.

5. Sly Fox

Sly Fox Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Look, the HOS was created in a time when anybody could violate it and get away with it. The HOS was not designed in a time when a computer could pin-point to the minute where you were and whether you were moving.

That's the difference. Here's an analogy:

If all cars had a device that restricted them to go NO FASTER than the posted speed limit of the road they're traveling on, do you really think speed limits would be set to the rates they are now?

No, because they're set where they are because they know you can just disregard them and nobody really cares unless you really violate them.

6. Spamalot

Spamalot Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2012
    HOS rules were revised in '03. Elogs were around then.

Your speed limit analogy would work on rural sections of highway, but not in metropolitan areas with a high volume of traffic. States that experiment with a higher speed limit (Utah and Texas for example) experiment in rural areas.

Speed limits are just like HOS rules, that much is true. People choose to violate these rules because they come with a reward. That reward being getting to the destination sooner. Not everyone thinks they are above the law though. My truck is not governed, and I run on paper. I choose to run legally, because in the long run it isn't worth the hassle. If you run illegaly, your DM and customers will expect you to do that for every load.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  7. Jake The Bullhauler

Jake The Bullhauler Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Paris, TX
    I don't know anything about elogs, but from what y'all are saying they would not work in my line of work. Loose leaf is the ONLY way.

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  8. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    I'm calling bs on that

9. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Why call bs? It can be done. You can't be a moron or someone who screws off constantly. Its not a big deal. Right how I'm on a load from Strasburg, Va to Las Vegas, NV, Walnut, CA and finals in Poway, CA. And I'll have enough hours to pick up in San Diego to go to McDonough, GA with the hours I pick up. If you have to cheat, you're not doing it right.

10. Spamalot

Spamalot Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Elogs aren't any different from paper, TBH. Familiarize yourself with the HOS rules.

11. Jake The Bullhauler

Jake The Bullhauler Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Paris, TX
    I am familiar, but hauling cattle is a little different than freight.

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.