Forced to drive on a 5 ton road to get to scale for inspection.

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Pappie Otter, Mar 16, 2021.

1. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    This is what they do. They set up a portable at a centrally located area of all the harvest activity so they don’t have far to travel from all directions. Most of the time they set up in the same exact place everytime but depending on what field or silo you are loading it could be 1/4 mile away or 10.

D.Tibbitt, TheLoadOut and OldeSkool Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    In one area around La Grange they were using a scale at an old feed store in a ghost town. The county maintained the scale and the little house for it but everything else was firewood.
    This scale was built in the single axle days so a long wb truck had to be weighed one axle at a time.

D.Tibbitt, TheLoadOut and OldeSkool Thank this.
  4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    There's a dairy we deliver to. It also has a 5ton sign. But trucks roll it.

There's a road in GA with short 8ton bridges. Doesn't stop the trucks.

There's also one in California. Long bridge. 10tons 15 mph. Only one vehicle at a time..narrow road. Doesn't stop trucks.

5. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I can't count the number of roads here in Indiana that have 15,000 lb (registered weight, not actual) limits on them during the spring(frost laws) where it is the only access road to several farms that have heavier equipment that must utilize that road all year(loads of grain don't stop moving just because it is cold outside). There is one near me that services a steel stamping plant that runs 2 shifts all year.
    Do what the cop says, document everything, sort it out in a court of law. That is what they are for.

6. Dhafuuje

Dhafuuje Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Guess what? 3 weeks ago I got into accident in i96 Michigan just outside Detroit, a four wheeler decided to join the lane that I was on as soon as front half of his car passed my moose pumper but his rear half is still parallel with my truck, basically before he completed the pass he joined my lane, lucky for me my moose pumper protected my he got dragged from right thrown to the left he hit the middle separating wall then bounced back hit another car. When the cops came they interviewed me then they interviewed the other people that involved the accident then some others as witnesses gave their opinion to the cops, cop came back and told me, you will get the blame for this accident, I asked why, he said the witness said you were speeding, the highway speed limit was 65 MPH, then I said but my truck is governed 65 MPH I showed the computer dashboard display that showed my truck is governed 65MPH, his reply was but couple witness said that you were speeding, I said so truckers are always lying and their computers are lying? He said unless you have other proof the blame is on you, I told wait I have dash camera that also shows speed and everything that happened, his reaction was what did you say at same time he sees the small camera hiding behind my ten inch Navigation equipment, remember he was ready to write me a ticket , after couple minutes fiddling the camera I showed my speed and how the guy did not complete the pass before he started joining my lane, people you have to witness his face reaction, long story short he changed his conclusions gave the ticket the other guy while on stretcher for neck injury I don’t know if he was faking it but the car was total loss, immediately I sent the video to my insurance, I never heard anything from them again, my insurance told me I am ok on their end and the police report said I am clear of everything, so believe when truckers tell you everyone and their mothers are out to get the truckers, without that dash camera I would in big trouble.

7. MadScientist

MadScientist Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2019
    Next time, wait until the court date to reveal you have the entire thing on video. See what happens to the cop then.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Don’t care what others think, you always follow the cops orders*

* unless it puts anyone in danger.

see what is missed here is that if something happens, it is actually on them. He is giving you instructions to follow him as part of a custody order to a place where they can check and certify your weight, so if you go down the road that you are told to and you cause say a collapse of the sewage system, it isn’t on you but the cop and the city, this is where they are in the wrong, which happens a lot.

Studebaker Hawk Thanks this.
  9. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    My two cents:
    5 ton road......
    Someone's house catches on fire. So is the fire truck not supposed to go down that road to put the fire out?
    Its an exception.

So you have 1000 people in a housing complex on this 5 ton road as well as other single family dwellings. So, the garbage truck isn't supposed to go down that road?
    Its an exception.

2000 kids live on this 5 ton limit road. So the school bus ain't supposed to go down the road?
    its an exception.

Lets say that there is a pot hole in that road & the state/county needs to get down there to repair it. So they are not supposed to take trucks for road repair down that road?
    Its an exception.

A tornado comes through & tears up 1/2 of those 1000+ homes on that road. The national guard & The Red Cross aint supposed to go down that road with help because their vehicle's GVWR is over 5 tons?
    Its an exception.

If a police officer gives you a direct order to follow him down a 5 ton limit road.... follow him.
    Its an exception.

10. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Its all well and good until he throws u under the bus..."no i didnt tell him to go down that road , i told him meet me at this scale, it was his choice to go down that 5 ton road with a 40 ton truck"

slow.rider Thanks this.
  11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Or maybe cops shouldnt be such power hungry dummies . If they want to scale out a truck how bout carry some portables with them or dont direct a truck down a 5 ton road and go on a power trip when he questions the truckers decision to not break the law... why do cops think they can do stupid #### like that and were not supposed to question their actions and decisons or we will face punishment ? A good cop wouldve never directed the trucker down that road, nor went on a power trip when the trucker questioned his decision. He would've had portables with him or left the trucker alone or found a legal route to the scale. Most of these guys just like to mess with truckers because they see us as a way to make money.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.