Foreign (Canadian & Mexican) Truckers adversely affecting US Truckers

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Aviator_727, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Aviator_727

Aviator_727 Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I would like to start this discussion, understand and share the adverse affects on US owner operators and small motor carriers.
    Please share your knowledge and experience of foreign carriers delivering Canadian & Mexican freight in US and picking up foreign freight to take back to their home country.
    Such transportation rule applies worldwide to all air and ocean freight and passengers
    It is accepted and agreed that Canadians truckers bring Canadian freight to US and take Canadian freight in US back to Canadian.
    I have been in Canadian trucking industry and have seen the benefits and prosperity Canadian carriers avail due to the US economic size. But sometimes I worry more than wonder, how far the extent of such benefits go....
    Do any of my fellow US truckers know that Canadian trucks has rights on Canadian freight same way US carriers has rights on US freight going into Canada but the shear difference in volumes from US to Canada compare to Canada to US simply makes it not much feasible for US truckers to enjoy the international pie.
    But question is
    Do my fellow truckers know that how many Canadian trucks once deliver in US actually haul US interstate freight before they take Canada bound freight?
    The administration of these country rights on freight is a complex matter settled by governments and here the debate I am trying to start is not about the policies and regulations already developed and agreed.
    I know so many freight brokers, big fishes using Canadian trucks to haul US interstate freight at half the market rates. Which Canadian carriers happily do as, not only Canadian trucking industry is not as big as US but also the currency exchange rate of US$1.00 to CA$ 1.50 makes it very profitable for them.
    This practice is adversely affecting US truckers and damaging financially.

Share your thoughts and knowledge!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    For Immigration purposes, that is considered point-to-point hauling within the United States and is not permitted. The driver may only take goods loaded in the United States to Canada or Mexico.
    How Do I Enter the United States as a Commercial Truck Driver?
    I doubt that is enforced though...

4. Aviator_727

Apr 25, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I am sure that is not enforced at all, in fact there isn't even a system in place to control this, thanks to our representatives..... but truly that is a lot of business, freight movements within US (interstate) that foreign carriers could easily do, and doing so, making tax free money in US, putting some financial dent to US truckers, with the help of US freight brokers like TQL, ArcBest, Coyote, CHRW. Certainly these US brokers move their freight much cheaper and increase their profitability, at the expense of US truckers. :( isn't it?
    Just like, we moved manufacturing to China.... not only jobs, we also lost tons of freight movements by moving the industry to China, now we only haul final finished goods.

5. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    It's unfair to U.S. drivers for Mexicans getting paid $20 per day to deliver anywhere in the U.S. and bring loads back because no U.S. drivers are going down into Mexico. Every Mexican truck going past the border is taking work away from an American.

6. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    You say you are from Canada so l’m guessing you haven’t been at the Astrodome long. Spend some time on IH 10 or US 59 coming in and out of Houston from the “dirty south” and you will see there arn’t many natives on it any longer. Unless it is specialized, oilfield or chemical/fuel related. Learn spanglish.

Doealex Thanks this.
  7. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Lots of words; zero proof.

Does it happen? Of course it does. Just like Americans illegally hauling freight in Canada. Which I have seen, but like the OP's post, since I have no proof, you're just going to have to trust me ;) . I don't doubt it happens more in the US given the differences in scale of the respective industries.

Is it as wide-spread as the OP seems to be suggesting? I highly doubt it. There is, in fact, enforcement when a driver is stopped and their BOLs are examined.

I seriously doubt the OP really has much knowledge at all.

I know so many freight brokers, big fishes using Canadian trucks to haul US interstate freight at half the market rates. Which Canadian carriers happily do as, not only Canadian trucking industry is not as big as US but also the currency exchange rate of US$1.00 to CA$ 1.50 makes it very profitable for them.

I highly doubt many brokers, and especially the big houses, are going to routinely engage in having freight hauled illegally. Much like "cheap freight," this sounds like a way to compensate for one's own lack of business acumen and ability.

The only times we lost freight was because American competitors were willing to do it for significantly less than we were. Besides being well off on his exchange rate, he has zero knowledge of the costs of doing business in Canada. Further, the risks associated with being caught (very hefty fines and lifetime bans) are so much higher than a little deadheading that no reasonable person would engage in interstate hauling.

So, while it might play well amongst a broad audience with little experience or direct knowledge, it's all mostly BS.

Like I said, I don't doubt it does happen (in fact I know it does), but nowhere near on the scale the OP is suggesting... at least from this end of the continent.

As always, YMMV.

8. aaronpeterbilt3787

aaronpeterbilt3787 Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    It’s kinda funny to me, that of course it’s a foreign trucks fault (or carrier) for the state of the industry in YOUR country.

peterd and Just passing by Thank this.
  9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I have met quite a few Canadians guys in Detroit, who said that they simply edit the bol when they move loads within the US.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  10. Aviator_727

Apr 25, 2010
    Houston, TX
    No I am not from Canada, I worked in Canadian Logistics industry

11. Aviator_727

Apr 25, 2010
    Houston, TX
    That's why I started the thread, 'what exactly is the scale of this activity by Canadian trucks' and certainly certainly big houses are involved in it intentionally or unintentionally as there is not any system in place to stop it! Considering how big houses have broker agents.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.