forgetting to lowering landing gear...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by FrankieCarbone, Mar 10, 2020.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Never did I say that looking at the jaws is the only thing you should do. Looking at the jaws is—only one of several steps—in ensuring proper coupling. It’s like saying why do a tug test if it can sometimes be unreliable. Again, it’s just one of several steps.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Coupling to a trailer and doing it safely begins with knowing your equipment is in good working order first. Inspect inspect inspect. Followed by correctly doing it. Easy does it with the force. Make sure the trailer makes contact at the right point on the 5th wheel (this is a lot harder then it looks). Make sure you don't have excessive side to side play. Then a short and gentle tug test is next. Then inspect the trailer, raise the landing gear as you do so make sure that the trailer is sitting flat on the 5th wheel. If you have kept your 5th wheel inspected and it in good working order you are finished. Everybody is free to do this as they wish. Heck, I don't care if while doing it you are tapping to the musical "top hat". Just make dang sure you keep a good close watch on that 5th wheel when bobtail and keep those internal locking mechanism parts in good working order. <<<This the key to staying out of trouble!! Just consider any bent (even slightly) parts as placing that 5th wheel OOS!

4. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    @Moose1958. I agree with everything you’ve said on this subject. You and I have the same old school way of thought on this. A driver should be able to gently back under the trailer and just kiss the pin and hear the sound of the latch “clink” closed. If you have to force it. That isn’t good. My uncle used to call “raping the fifth wheel” and if you think about in that way he’s right. I’ve heard the loud ripping crunch sound of drivers hitting the pin so hard its a wonder it ever stays in the bolster. They for some reason think this is the best way to make sure it latches but it is the bestway to destroy the guarantee it will stay latched.

5. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Actually there's 3. The ones that haven't done it yet.

6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I hope the old school of doing things doesn’t involve not looking at the jaws. Moose has admitted he skips this test, which is disappointing.

Edit—

Okay, I misread Moose’s comment #66. I read it too fast.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Not at all what he said.

PE_T Thanks this.
  8. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Nope. Looking at the jaws is part of it and he said that. But if you know your wheels in great shape its not always nessesary hypothetically. Hence the reason he stated you maintain the fifthwheel and you treat it kindly. That is why I put bright colored paint on mine just like I posted in #69. Makes it easier to see the connection. Not just a bunch of dirt and grit filled grease.

9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I have mentioned this in these forums before. I also discuss a lot of these topics from TTR forums with others in a Facebook closed group and some time on Twitter. I woke up this morning to see these replies as well as 3 on Facebook. One was from a now-retired director of safety. He said one day he was in his office and heard a continued slamming coming from the yard and it got his attention. The issue was the 5th wheel would not engage and the driver kept hitting (a loaded trailer) harder and harder. After running out to stop the idiot he called him in and the driver told him he had a defective 5th wheel. The guy then said he reviewed the surveillance camera footage of the whole event. Then fired the driver. That 5th wheel was in such bad shape they had to either replace or rebuild it in the shop. Now I am going to admit to a careless act. I had to use a replacement tractor for about a month way back when. I did not look at that 5th wheel like I should have. One day in I think it was in Tennessee I could not get the 5th wheel to disengage from the trailer in a drop&hook. Turns out this 5th wheel had been damaged and I simply missed seeing it. These are the moments in this job that you look at yourself and wonder, WTF?

SmallPackage Thanks this.
  10. Haula**

Haula** Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Lol I did this ONE time. Actually almost made it out of the shipper's yard. I saw some smoking and stopped the truck. Got out and realized the landing gear was still down and the landing gear was smoking. I cranked that #### up and kept it pushing.

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Admittedly, gentle hookups have been made more difficult by the automatic transmission IMHO.

PE_T and SmallPackage Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.