Form 529 (Education savings)

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by zany_steverino, Mar 14, 2019.

1. I "might" be getting an overseas job next year. Too early to say for certain. First $80k is tax free. The employment opportunity pays between $130-$250k based on location.

I asked a tax accountant about putting the tax free amount into a 529 for my children's education expenses. He asked me why I would put tax free money in it, as I should be putting the taxed earnings in the 529 so those earnings don't get taxed.

Huh???

He explained that any money put into a 529 is tax deductible, so I should keep the tax free earnings and put the taxed earnings in the 529. The interest accumulated from the 529 is also tax deductible.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Why double-protect the money from income tax? Isn't one tax exemption enough? If the Feds allow you to avoid income tax on the first $80k in overseas income, wouldn't you want to put $130k to 250k minus 80k inside a tax exempt/tax deferred account?

4. I am not trying to double protect my money, I wanted to set up a college savings trust for my kids when the 529 was mentioned. The tax accountant told me to use the tax free money for bills and personal savings and put the taxed income in the 529

tscottme Thanks this.
  5. 529 can be used for any educational expense

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    You have an accountant and you to ask a trucking forum for tax advice?
    Wow...

If you are unsure get a second opinion for another accountant....

7. I wasn't asking for advice. I was giving advice.

tscottme and ZVar Thank this.
  8. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I don't think its really that much of a savings anyways. You can only deduct it on your state return depending on what state your in and only up to a certain amount. I believe its $10k in NY. Still better than nothing I guess.

9. tscottme

The accountant's advice sounds like good advice to me.

zany_steverino Thanks this.
  10. tscottme

I misunderstood your original post then. I'm sorry.

zany_steverino and ZVar Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.