Former carrier reported 2 accidents on my background check.

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by TankerYanker36, Apr 27, 2023.

1. TankerYanker36

TankerYanker36 Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Is there anything I can do about this?

Worked for Schneider in 2021 as an intermodal tanker driver. I had two incidents.

The first was a backing incident when I was assigned to park at a specific narrow spot (steam pad). I ended up tagging a trailer's fender that was parked next to the spot. Minor damage but It's considered an accident.

2nd incident was trying to couple the tractor to an empty chasis at a rail yard. The locking jaws on my 5th wheel wouldn't latch around the kingpin of the chasis. Then after trying to couple again, the king pin got caught into my 5th wheel release arm, and bent the arm handle pretty much straight.
    Schneider counted it as a high hook and accident, and was going to place me out of service for it.

Immediately I resigned and never agreed to the high-hooking charge or signed anything that shows I agreed. I resigned because I thought my record would be destroyed if I stayed with them.

But today I was officially disqualified from a job offer because of my background check.
    When I viewed my copy, the only thing showing negatively is Schneider. It shows 2 accidents.

1. Hit Parked Vehicle
    2. High-Hooked/improper coupling.
    3. They made it appear that I didn't resign voluntarily, but I have the vvoluntary resignation letter.

I tried to dispute the reports and give more context, and especially I'm trying to get that 2nd charge removed from my report, but no luck so far.

Am I screwed? Or is there something I can do about this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Yeah, accept that you had two accidents that caused damage that the carrier had to fix/pay for.. It's not the end of the world.. but you definitely had two accidents. You can call them peanut butter sandwiches if you want to.. but you had two of them whatever you want to call them. The industry will still call them accidents.

4. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    Dispute it. Look at smaller carriers, many just call to confirm and not look at Hireright

TankerYanker36 Thanks this.
  5. TankerYanker36

Mar 19, 2014
    Yeah that sucks big time. I feel like there should atleast be more context on the reporting to be fair.

6. TankerYanker36

Mar 19, 2014
    Thanks, that's the next plan definitely .

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you've ever been in a wreck in a CMV or personal vehicle, your fault or not, and insurance or ticket or tow involved; then that's the problem.
    Plan on a 2nd chance company to hire you. May not be the job you prefer, but at least you're working.

Eddiec and TankerYanker36 Thank this.
  8. tlalokay

tlalokay Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    Local work in biggish cities as well as intermodal are recipes for high volumes of accidents/incidents and tickets on a record. Considering how pristine a driver's record must be in order to get the posh jobs in the industry, I don't know why drivers risk it...

Mattflat362 and TankerYanker36 Thank this.
  9. TankerYanker36

Mar 19, 2014
    Yeah exactly. They are non DOT accidents and only recorded with the company, so hopefully It can clear up eventually. Also, is it possible to just not list that company as a reference, or can I choose "do not contact" on my next application?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
  10. TankerYanker36

Mar 19, 2014
    Right! My problem was I was new to the game. I wish I would have known.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.