Former May Drivers Lounge...

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Scooter Jones, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I guarantee you that not one trainer at May Trucking averages 5,000 miles a week. The trainer at May is required to be on-duty in the passenger seat while the student is driving. At Swift, once the student completes so many hours behind the wheel, they are allowed to operate as a team, not at May.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. reefertank

reefertank Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Eastern Oregon
    Because, every trainer I have met, (4) and every trainer that I heard from either my trainer or a trainee (4), all did 4 weeks or more, with 1 exception, which did 3 weeks. So out of 8, 1 did 3 weeks. Longest I heard was 5 weeks. I was suppose to do 4 weeks, even though my trainer promised me 3 weeks. I told him, If I do another week, I'm leaving. Oh, and one other who quit 2 weeks in, was suppose to do 4 weeks. According to that quitter, his trainer never solos out any of his students earlier than 4 weeks. I have heard of a few exceptions, trainers soloing out trainees within 2 weeks. Maybe it was you. That was a story told by my trainer. I had 3 months of behind the wheel training at my school. I drove almost better than my trainer. He still wanted to do 4 weeks with me. I told him at the beginning, I wasn't going to have that. He should have solo'd out within a week or week & 1/2, In my opinion. Instead, I got a repeat of what I already knew in baby talk. "oh, you need to learn how to use the gas pumps". "oh, you need to know how to use your people skills dealing with consignee and shippers". "oh, you need to experience driving on toll roads"........ In my case, I've heard more trainers soloing at 4, than 3.

4. reefertank

Jan 22, 2015
    Eastern Oregon
    Baloney. My trainer did it, and several others I've heard have done it. Trainer starts out driving first to gain a couple hundred miles. Then the student takes over and burns the clock. I would be in Sleeper duty or Off-duty status while he was driving. Then I'd take over and drive 10 hours. Most days, we'd be driving 12 to 14 hours. Trainers are allowed to go over the clock. I envy'd a lot of trainees I met where they drove 8 to 10 hour days and that's it. I lived in hell those 3 weeks, barely getting rest some days. Just last week, I met a trainer and a trainee at a shipper, we had the same destination. I drove exactly the same miles as did the training truck. That's how trainers should be training. But not everyone follows the rules, and May knows that.

5. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    You obviously have a bug up your rear against May...

I challenge you to name ONE trainer at May that averages 5k miles a week and $8k a month.

Trainers and anyone are allowed to be ON-DUTY not DRIVING after 11/14/70 hours. The trainer who does what you say, will still burn up his 70 hour clock and will not be able to drive (especially on elogs) as will the student. 5k miles a week is just not possible there, man. You're blowing smoke.

6. reefertank

Jan 22, 2015
    Eastern Oregon
    I wish I had you as a trainer than. I would have solo'd out in a week. The trainer I requested, solos students out at 4 weeks. I ended up with another that solos out at 4 weeks, but demanded to solo out 3. I got in trouble for that.

7. reefertank

Jan 22, 2015
    Eastern Oregon
    You obviously have not met my trainer. My trainer grossed in $2,200, $1800, and $1,100 (off several days).

He drove 3-4 hours, while I'm off duty. Then I drive 10 hours, while he's on duty. That makes it legal for him and for me. That's a 14 hour day. Driving an average of 58 mph = roughly 812 miles in a day. We both get a 10 hour reset and do it all over again, until he burns up his 70, we get a 34 reset, which gives up another day in the week, and he makes almost 5,000 miles in a week, that's nearly $2,200.

I have a bug? I'm just telling it the way I see it... or in my case, experienced it. Everyone has their own experience. You can't foolishly deny that. It is possible. Some people don't believe I ever received a message from May driving 70 mph down hills consistently... but its true, I have yet to hear from anyone. What do I have to gain from this? Should I lie and say 95% of all trainers solo out students at 3 weeks? Trainers never drive?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  8. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    That is an anomaly if that is even accurate. So, you're saying he actually showed you his paychecks?

9. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    I'm sure May is a decent outfit but if you went to a trucking school that is listed on Schneider's website, go with them. They have been at this many years and have excellent training.

10. reefertank

Jan 22, 2015
    Eastern Oregon
    Edit: deleted.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  11. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    I'm not saying, nor did I say, trainers at May don't drive. I drove when I was training. The 5k miles a week claim is what I'm questioning, that's all.

The training program at May is less stringent than a lot of starter companies, at Swift they require 6 weeks and so many hours before you can solo out.

There's a lot of companies that are hiring right now. Problem you're going to have is lack of experience. You haven't even driven through a winter yet, have you?

The thing about me is that I know the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If I wasn't happy about my miles, I would rattle any cage I thought I could in order to get traction. Including walking into the OCM's office and talking eye to eye.

That may be what you have to do. If they can't meet your expectations, go somewhere else. However, jumping ship so early might not be in your best interest.

Good luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.