Former TQL employee: ask away

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by JosiahS, Jan 26, 2021.

1. roadtech

roadtech Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Northeast
    The more owner operators that want to get in on the work or offer to work for less the less the brokers /shippers can and will pay .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    We are in the machinery moving business, and I've recently done quite a bit of work for them in that aspect. Seems TQL is trying to get into "turnkey" machinery transportation (Load, haul, then unload and set at destination). I've worked with one guy in that department on several loads, we worked as the rigger of machinery moved on their brokered trucks. They have been really good to work with on our end. They call for a rigging quote, and we give it to them. We set the prices not them.

They did send me over a contract to be their excusive rigger in our area, and some of the language in the contract gave me concern. I'm still glad to work for them with rigging services, but I have yet to sign their contact. I won't disclose the details of the contract, as they state it as confidential, and I still want to work for them. I've only worked for one guy, and I assume he is in the higher echelon of the company, because these are all high value and time sensitive loads. I'm sure they are making good money on my prices, but they pay me what I ask without complaint. They pay fast too.

Overall, they have been a great customer for me in this department.

PPDCT, cke, SL3406 and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
  5. BTTri-F

BTTri-F Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2021
    Worked for them for 4 years & I can say that this is true for most. They hire so aggressively right out of college that they really don't have any respect for what the drivers go thru on a day-2-day basis. I was 10 years older than most in my office. My dad has been driving my entire life so I made it my business to teach kids how to respect the guys on the road. I had a great GM but the corporate nature of TQL really tied our hands. It was sad.

6. BTTri-F

BTTri-F Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2021

You hit it on the nose. They hire kids right out of college with no experience in the market, no respect for what drivers go thru daily. I was 30 when I stated and I was 8-10 years older than most. Your seat only lasts so long if you aren't making them money. You're a number. They'll give you a few months but after that you're out.

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  7. BTTri-F

BTTri-F Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2021
    Sounds like the Savannah office

8. 99lovemaria

99lovemaria Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2023

These people are always dirty. Dirty people will always be dirty. Today is the drivers they’re dirty too then tomorrow it’s there own there dirty. Thanks so much for sharing. It’s always been a wonder if they’re rules and tolerance to the bs.

9. Marmon110P

Marmon110P Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2019
    Ive been curious what their profit margin needs to be for a minimum...like if they have a load that pays them $2k, will they go as high as $1500 or maybe more to move it?

10. JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes Medium Load Member

Aug 23, 2019
    It's all depends on the customer and the business as a whole. Every broker worth a #### has lost money on loads on behalf of a customer at one point. It's just part of the business, you have to look at the business as a whole rather than get hung up on one load. I've read the industry average is 14-17% margins, but I'm sure every brokerage is different.

Siinman, God prefers Diesels and PPDCT Thank this.
  11. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    I float between 14% and 16%. It really varies. I've never had a 20% month, and I've never had a 10% month. So, as ever, your experience may vary. I imagine guys on high volume accounts are closer to the 10% mark, and the guys who are running high dollar specialty stuff but at lower volumes are closer to the 20%+ mark.

Siinman, SL3406, Opus and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.