Foundry hooks/J-Hooks

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Knecht_Transport, Aug 7, 2023.

1. Knecht_Transport

Knecht_Transport Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2020
    Recently I've started moving some bigger equipment at work, 70 ton excavators and the like. I've run into problems securing them. The steel webs on these machines are too think to get a 1/2 slip hook onto. Now I've been able to make it work other ways but it sure would be nice to have same options.

This brings me to my question, have any of you used foundry hooks or J-hooks in this application? All the J-hooks I've been able to find aren't rated at enough to bother with. I think grade 80 Foundry hooks would work for me, but at $120 CAD a piece they're awful expensive. Any other suggestions?

Another problem I have is not having enough distance between the load the and float for the binder with its two grab hooks plus chain and its two slip hooks. I'd like to be able to put a slip hook directly onto one end of a binder but my 1/2 slip hooks wont fit around the ring of my 1/2-5/8 chain binders.

Ideally I could solve both problems at once and put a foundry hook directly onto a binder, but I'm not sure the best way to go about this without spending a lot of money. I would think 4 of these would be enough for me. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    Try grade 80 here for $58.00:
    [​IMG]

Or better yet, grade 100 here for $85.00 :
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
    cke and Oxbow Thank this.
  4. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    Are you saying a 1/2-5/8 binder won’t go over the edge of the track pad?
    I would not use the foundry hooks or similar for that purpose simply because they’re not going to bite against the grouser bar but instead slide on the pad. Maybe I am not understanding.
    I took some of my 1/2-5/8 binders and enlarged the slot in the hook because I couldn’t get them to go over the flange on my inner trailer beam. I have the end I worked on painted so it’s obvious since it’s probably not good to use on chain. My guess would be that dot wouldn’t like it if they knew but I removed very little material and only from the sides of the slot and nothing from the back…I see absolutely no safety issue with what I did or I wouldn’t have done it. Otherwise might try a different brand of binder or maybe go up to 5/8-3/4 but then you’ll need bigger chains and they will weigh an ### load

5. Phoenix Heavy Haul

Phoenix Heavy Haul Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2022
    Raleigh NC
    I’m a bit confused by your post…what hook points are you having trouble with?
    What type deck are you pulling?
    Also if you’re moving 150k machines I sure wouldn’t cheap out in 80grade chain/hooks.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. Knecht_Transport

Knecht_Transport Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2020
    The track pads on our 700 are well over an inch think. No way you're getting any kind of grab hook on them. Anyway the ministry in our area has given us trouble in the past with securing to track pads.

Most of our machines have factory tie downs, but again they're loops in the two inch frame web. Sometimes you can get a grab hook or a loose end of chain through them and make a loop. And I've also pinned shackles to them and chained to those. I'm just looking for more options.

I'm not opposed to spending the money, just seems a good idea to look around first.

cke, Phoenix Heavy Haul and Oxbow Thank this.
  7. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I have Grade 80 Crosby hooks chains on my 3/8" 100 grade chains. Their WLL matches or exceeds the chain.
    I don't tie to track pads. The guys who work for Cat hauling the big stuff all have either foundry hooks or slip hooks on their chains, at least on one end or some of them. Good ones aren't cheap, but it sure saves a lot of time. I have grab hooks on everything, but am considering getting some short pieces with foundry hooks for the factory tie downs that I can either hook a binder to or the grab hooks on my existing chains, to save getting the shackles out.

8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Is this the kind of stuff they use ?
    4A419DED-7FB3-4D97-BB5F-B6A37C3CD595.jpeg

9. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Yes. Although I don't think they pack much heavier than 1/2".

10. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    These guys rebuild and sell cat stuff . And always list prices . Might interest you….

J.J. Scheckel Corporation

singlescrewshaker and Oxbow Thank this.
  11. Phoenix Heavy Haul

Phoenix Heavy Haul Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2022
    Raleigh NC

Oxbow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.