Four Killed In Wreck On I-81 In Virginia

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by mjd4277, Jun 1, 2023.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. Thrasher28

Thrasher28 Heavy Load Member

Aug 12, 2021
    Bowling Green, KY
    I-81 gets more and more treacherous with every passing day. At this point, I’ll take any route over 81 if it’s reasonably similar distance. Just a steady stream of close calls that doesn’t let up until Binghamton

Numb Thanks this.
  3. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    What makes you feel this way? I love I-81. Beautiful road in good shape for the most part, not that much traffic, good parking. I hate I71 and 77 with a passion but 81 is one of my favorite drives.

4. Bozwik

Bozwik Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2022
    Mars, USA
    This is exactly why I back off these idiot truck drivers who like to snuggle up to my rear by waiting till the last minute to pass. Tailgating caused this mess. Following to close to be able to make decisions.

drvrtech77 and Snailexpress Thank this.
  5. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    Well I do that too, but not for long. Its to reduce the amount of time I spend in the passing lane. I've found its safer for me to do that than to pull out to pass too early and have 4 wheelers try to pass on the right and squeeze between me and the truck I'm trying to pass.

6. Thrasher28

Thrasher28 Heavy Load Member

Aug 12, 2021
    Bowling Green, KY
    Must’ve just been bad luck for me, I guess, but every time, Bristol to Roanoke is trucks jumping out in the left lane doing 55 and drag racing up hill and stacking up cars behind them. And then after Roanoke, it just gets worse every time I run it. Traffic slowing down to 25 for presumably no reason at all multiple times. Cars darting around on the right squeezing between light trucks running 70 and heavy trucks doing 54. Coincidentally, I-77 is one of my favorite interstates to run, I don’t mind 71, and I love running 86 in NY, so I might be a bit biased

7. dave01282000

dave01282000 Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2021
    Ohio
    "None of the people inside the Chevy were wearing seat belts"

This doesn't help. I'm thinking the count of fatalities could have turned out differently here.

mjd4277 and Opus Thank this.
  8. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    It isn't going to improve. It is my understanding that this month(June), the federal gov is going to start having hearings and discussions on "speed limiters" and some states have already implemented some type of a law to limit trucks to the right lane, don't be surprise if this doesn't take place on 1-81 in Va.

9. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    There's no place to pull over if your truck breaks down in the left lane for much of Virginia.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.