Freak Incident, reefer tank dropping fuel.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by san00, Dec 5, 2023.

1. san00

san00 Medium Load Member

Jan 3, 2011
    So just wanted to share how my week was going, yesterday we were traveling north on I-15 in Salt Lake City and a passenger car flagged down my driver so he pulled over in a wide median to check what was going on and noticed the reefer tank was dropping fuel. Evidently we ran up over something and it flew up and punctured the tank. We have side skirts on the trailer so we had to directly go over the object. By the time we figured out what we were going to do (thank god we were empty) a state trooper stopped and that's when the #### show started.

We estimated we dropped probably 20-30 gallons on diesel so the trooper called out the HazMat team to access if there was any risk, conclusion there wasn't, and no citation given as this was a freak incident, so all good right...nope. The city health department came and told us we were responsible for the environmental clean-up of what was dropped on the road and in the soil. So I had to hire a crew to come do the clean-up which they estimated will be $2,500 (I don't have the final bill yet) which is absolutely highway robbery for a 30 gallon clean-up. I bet there's more fuel dropped at the Flying J SLC in one day than that. I also find it funny, where we were at in the soil there's just trash and litter all around so no one gives 2 flips about that area.

Today we had a new reefer fuel tank put on, a mere $1,700 cost on a 3 month old trailer, and they told us we were the 3rd trailer this week that this had happened to. I never heard this happening before, let alone 3 times in one week. It seems like to me the UDOT needs to get their #### together and start clearing debris from the roadway.

So in total, this will cost me around $4,500 and we a lost day of revenue. We could claim this one insurance but after the deductible it wouldn't be worth it as it would just muddy up our loss run for when we renew. You bet your ### everyone will be carrying some kind of tank repair material going forward. I couldn't imagine what the bill would be if you started leaking out a 150 gallon fuel tank. Or best bet, if you do have a leak pull off where the po po can't see you.

W923, fordconvert, Freddy57 and 5 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Just so you know I have a very good friend that does Haz Mat clean ups does a lot of truck accidents if the truck’s fuel tanks leak or are rupture .. you got cheap It’s usually between 8 & 15k depending on the size of the area they have to excavate 1 other question how did you run directly over something and not damage the truck just the reefer fuel tank . I would consider myself lucky

gentleroger, exhausted379, cke and 6 others Thank this.
  4. san00

san00 Medium Load Member

Jan 3, 2011
    The soil that it leaked into was contained to a 9x9 area. No run-off, leakage or wind caused it to go anywhere. Literally one person with a shovel could get it done in 15 minutes.

I don't know how we didn't damage anything else. My guess is that it was lying on the road and the tractor went over it and it kicked it up into the tank area.

And I don't consider myself lucky at all on this. It's BS like this, that's out of your control, that makes you want to say frick this. It was just wrong place, wrong time and wrong lane. Only thing I consider myself lucky on is that we were empty. If we were loaded we'd probably have a claim.

Vampire, fordconvert, Freddy57 and 5 others Thank this.
  5. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I understand what your saying .. it’s the EPA that dictates how much has to be excavated and removed that so called contaminated dirt has to go to a designated place that treats that contaminated soil like nuclear waste and charges out the ### to deal with it ..

Vampire, RockinChair, Freddy57 and 5 others Thank this.
  6. san00

san00 Medium Load Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Oh no I totally understand...now. I've never been through something like this so I had no idea. And of course you play the what if game. Like what if the shipper on Friday left the bills on our dropped trailer then it wouldn't have taken the receiver 3.5 hours to unload us and that debris wouldn't have been on the roadway if we got done in 2 hours.

I usually don't get salty about things but this one has left a bad taste in my mouth. But maybe my gripe should be at the manufacturing quality of the reefer tank.

Bud A., Siinman and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Sh it happens .

to have a crew mobilize with a dump truck or roll off with a liner , a bobcat and a mini excavator and delineate and remove the soil , and take it to a haz waste landfill , and bring in clean dirt and throw seed and hay and fill out all the GD paperwork .
    And have a professional licensed geologist or environmental scientist sign off on all the paperwork . It ain’t cheap .

A spill of less than five gallons doesn’t trigger any paperwork

8. Constant Learner

Constant Learner Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2011
    The Moon
    Most probably it's vandalism. Your insurance company may cover it.

rollin coal Thanks this.
  9. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    BA188016-D6A5-4166-827D-27338DAF2073.jpeg

We carry a small spill kit in all our trucks, each kit has one of these (not this exact one but something similar). I’ve never had to use it but they claim it works.

It’s pretty scary how easily fuel tanks can be ruptured, especially at highway speeds. Something most of us don’t think about till it happens.

48Packard, Chinatown, wis bang and 4 others Thank this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You got away cheap.

I had a truck that was in an accident, the car decided to pass on the right at a high rate of speed while the truck was turning right, hit the tank, and ruptured it. The cost for that little clean-up was ~$15,400, and we were on the hook for some of it, not all of it but some. The other driver was sued to pay it all but it was settled out of court for a reduction in costs.

Big Road Skateboard Thanks this.
  11. san00

san00 Medium Load Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Yes insurance covers it, but it's still a $2,500 deductible than it mucks up my claim loss history, which will affect premiums going forward. So unless the clean-up cost is somehow higher than what I was quoted I'm just going to eat it.

wis bang Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.