Freaking Qualcomm/GPS frustrations! Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by stylez80Nine, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    randall mcnally?
    That is just too funny.

But the RM is certainly better than the QC, most of the time.
    There have been a few times when the QC GPS has been more accurate to my destination than my RM.

When it has been so, it is usually with an address that is different than what is in my load assignment. It seems that sometimes that QC has different information as to the actual location, such as entering from a different street.
    And it has sometimes been in a completely different part of town.
    Always check both, if you have them - especially if there are no written directions available on the QC.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    You need to go into the options menu and set it up. Also its not driving you are. When it suggests exiting to drive across business routes, stay on the interstate. You should review your route for the day before you put the truck into gear.

roshea and stylez80Nine Thank this.
  4. Hermentruck2343

Hermentruck2343 Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2019
    I have peoplenet gps in my truck and it never gets me close to the right address. I use the PN on the highway then use google maps for the last few miles. I also look at my destination on satillite view before going in so I know what to expect. That PN has taken me thru some ####ty areas like roads that dont allow trucks. Im thinking about just buying the RM gps for my truck.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    AND ??

I've had my share of drivers who went out of their way to deliver, the last one was last year, delivering in Sacramento from Toledo and taking a southern route.

If there is a reasonable deviation, I can accept that but what my point really is that is costs actually more to micromanage a driver than it costs to just let them do their job.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    To a point I agree. What would you do if one of your drivers missed his delivery appointment because he went oor WITH NO REASONABLE explanation? What if it makes you lose the customer?

If hiring someone to micromanage your drivers costs $50,000, with another $25,000 in miscellaneous costs, but allows you to get/keep a contract that increases your net revenue (after "normal" expenses) by $100,000 would you start micromanaging your drivers?

I know you work with your contractors on choosing loads that result in higher revenue while minimzing expenses. The megas are doing the same, just at a larger scale and with more basic concepts .

7. Bigbrad1105

Bigbrad1105 Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Montana
    The best thing I could have ever done for myself to get me out of the habit of relying on my gps was hauling sugar beets. Pulling doubles with a long dolly. You can’t back those things so it only took one wrong turn and getting stuck to train myself to make #### sure I can get out of where where I’m turning/going. Whether that be stopping and looking way up the road or planning ahead and figuring a route that I know will work. Best advise? Go drive doubles or triples for a bit.

8. coueshunter

coueshunter Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    What’s so wrong with a back route? Don’t drive in south Texas, east coast, or anywhere across the mid northwest

9. Hermentruck2343

Hermentruck2343 Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2019
    Who do you work for that doesnt go to the east coast?

10. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Bottomline you can.t blame your GPS for not planning your route

roshea Thanks this.
  11. coueshunter

coueshunter Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    That’s not what I said...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.