Freight Broker vs Virtual Assistant

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by marwatson, Feb 3, 2020.

1. marwatson

marwatson Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2020
    Kentucky
    Hello again. I've been wanting to become a freight broker for a while now. Long story short, it's looking more and more like something I should NOT do for various reasons. My inexperience and market saturation being 2 big reasons.

So, I've been thinking of lateral business ideas that I may be better suited for and wondered about working directly for truckers as a virtual assistant. Someone posted on this forum a long time ago asking questions about VA's and it seemed like 1/2 would never use such a service and the other half seemed kind of into it or actively had remote assistance. I think I have confirmed 2 VA's that have already done this--one is still in business and one is not. (Admittedly not a good sign if I'm trying to prove that there's a market for it. That's why I thought I would just ask here outright.)

Some ideas I have include: I would sell blocks of time (5 hours, 25 hours, etc) to work directly for drivers doing tasks they might struggle with while out on the road--faxing, phone calls, collections, price comps, scheduling, etc. Unused hours would rollover up to 3 months. I noticed some drivers prefer to find their own loads, but I could also scan free/paid load boards as part of my service for those that might want an extra set of eyes. Since my product is my time, I wouldn't be taking commissions, just connecting driver to broker/shipper. Could possibly drum up leads and do some marketing, especially for regional couriers.

I feel like the VA route is the better option for me and one that I would really enjoy doing, but is there are market for it? What say you?

Yoyoredrum Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Yoyoredrum

Yoyoredrum Bobtail Member

May 8, 2014
    Did you ever start the VA route ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.