Freight Rates and Loads

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Arcana, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Yes, I personally think that many solo owner operators who are struggling to survive on their own are finding solace and security in leasing on with bigger companies that provide a measure of security to them because they have steady, contract freight.

However, it's often a two-edged sword.

Rideandrepair and TallJoe Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Even with this it can be just as easy for someone to go belly up as someone running their own numbers.

Rideandrepair and Scooter Jones Thank this.
  4. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Guy I know that restarted his numbers last year. Running a dodge 3500. He kept telling me how much money he was making. He sold that in April and bought a 2007 big house W900. Clutch started slipping a couple weeks ago and doesn’t have the money for a clutch. So the truck and trIler is parked while he begs the bank for a loan to fix his truck.

WTF?

So maybe it dose happen that quick?

5. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Banks are stupid too, giving loans so easy. That's why buying a truck is easy. Should be much harder than getting a mortgage imo.

uncleal13, Tug Toy and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Yeah, that's true. I've seen it happen just recently to someone I know.

Bought his used 2012 truck 3 years ago and leased it on. The truck nickeled, dimed & dollared him to death. It was 3 years of futility for him. He called the lending company and told them to come and get the truck.

He's now back as a company driver making 0.40 a mile...

This was his second go round in 10 plus years, he also had a truck leased on to Landstar and the bottom dropped out, fuel prices went through the roof and he bankrupted.

Good thing for him you can bankrupt every 7 plus years if needed, because that's where he's headed...again.

7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’m amazed at how many are jumping in right now. Mostly New to industry. Those who went through 5 yrs of freight tonnage decline as Company Drivers aren’t falling for the lease purchases. Mostly newer Drivers. Its funny to me how every Truckdriver has a plan Including Myself (typical). More talk of getting Own Authority than I ever recall.Some of them are very Tech savvy. They have a head full of all the “expert” Talk show tips on running a Truck. I don’t think many have any idea how to survive when it’s hard to survive. Waiting for the first round of repo 1 or 2 yr old dry vans to hit the Market Lol

Midwest Trucker, Tug Toy and TallJoe Thank this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I think they up’d it to 10 yrs. I can’t afford that, I would ruin credit for my last good earning years. Debt is slavery been there. I like to be free.

fargonaz Thanks this.
  9. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Well, he's at the 10 year redo then.

Tug Toy and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  10. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Lot of people try something and it doesn’t work, so they do it again a few more times, apparently just to be sure it doesn’t work.

Your example there is different but has the same makings of what I think of when I say that most guys with their own authority would be more financially solvent/be more successful if they were leased to a carrier. OTOH poor money habits don’t tend to break either, so maybe I’m the fool to think people could learn from their own mistakes.

11. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I figure that the most important thing about the survival mode is to have enough cash stashed aside and only cherry pick loads in the bad times. I can't see any smarter ways around it, especially for a solo owner op, tbh.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.